You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Just started using AP. In considering AP for an upcoming workflow, after years of photoshop, I wondered about the .afphoto filetype. PSD is widely supported on the mac, but what will open .afphoto? The embedded help file had no entries for afphoto...How does one store the edited files?

ps: why doesn't serif directly offer tech support for AP?

• Staff

Hi marscandybar,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

The .afphoto (and .afdesign) file formats are Affinity's proprietary file formats. They are not supported by third party applications nor intended to be used for storing images. Their goal is to preserve all information in your projects - adjustments, live filters, FX effects etc - allowing you to edit them at a later date. To save your project as an .afphoto file (for the first time) go to menu File ▸ Save As... choose a location and give it a name. To save your file in other formats (supported by third party apps) use File ▸ Export... instead.

We offer direct support through these forums. All support staff - including affinity developers - are identified by a staff badge and participate/reply to users questions/issues here.

We offer direct support through these forums. All support staff - including affinity developers - are identified by a staff badge and participate/reply to users questions/issues here.

marscandybar,

Many of us end users think this is one of the best reasons to consider using the Affinity products. The staff is very responsive & eager to help (as are many users) & the developers -- the people that actually write the code -- sometimes post replies. I don't know of any other commercial software company that offers that.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

When users want to archive a processed RAW image and its edits, sometimes involving many hours of work, what would you recommend? Proprietary formats can be unavailable for many reasons - a company can go belly up, it can move to another focus and not support older iterations, etc....what recommendations can you offer for saving work for possible future edits? This is not a criticism, just an enquiry before investing many hours in the work I have ahead.

I've been delighted with the intelligence and power of AP - even the tutorials and web site itself reflect well on the team. I've been rooting for AP  as a replacement for Adobe and have said so on other forums. 

Thanks, everyone, for bringing up this topic as it interests me, too. While I don't have any recommendations, I do have my old Mac with my old licensed copy of Photoshop Elements that still works fine. My newer Mac has Aperture plus Affinity Photo and Designer. I knew Aperture had been abandoned, but I chose it anyway and like it. For now, my process is to just keep the old computer with its old software and use as needed. For standalone software, it should work for a very long time. But lately we're seeing a new breed of software that must "check in" to the mother ship, usually upon launching it. That manufacturer can kill the program at will. My Affinity Beta programs shut down as soon as my trial period ended, but I have no regrets about that.

Moving forward, I know that if Serif drops Affinity, the versions I have loaded may cease to run. But at least I will always have the native RAW files on my hard drives. It's easier for me than, say, a professional graphic artist that can't afford the software to stop working. I feel their pain in these and other forums.

Best regards, and enjoy the moments we have in digital imagery =)

John

we users have no assurances at all about the usability over time of any proprietary format, unless (to a certain extent) it becomes a widely supported standard. but even for those, there's no guarantee that they shift to something different and one day retrocompatibility is lost.

take care,

stefano

... But lately we're seeing a new breed of software that must "check in" to the mother ship, usually upon launching it. That manufacturer can kill the program at will. My Affinity Beta programs shut down as soon as my trial period ended, but I have no regrets about that.

Moving forward, I know that if Serif drops Affinity, the versions I have loaded may cease to run. ...

I think you are confusing the trial & beta versions. Free trials are preset to expire in ten days; betas expire when the next beta version is released, or when obsoleted by the installation of a newer non-beta ("golden master") version. I'm not sure if the betas "phone home" to check for a newer beta, but I am fairly sure they just check locally to see if the installed regular version is newer than it is. (Betas will not run unless there is also a regular version installed on the Mac.)

But as long as the retail version will run on the currently installed OS version, it should not matter if for some reason Serif drops Affinity or even if the firm ceases all operations & shuts down its servers. As far as I can tell, the retail apps never "phone home" during launch or during normal use. (I have no trouble launching & using it when my Internet connection is down or I intentionally take my iMac offline.) 

Of course, it is conceivable that the last available versions of the apps won't run on some future OS version, & by then some users may only have access to computers that will not run the older OS version these apps require, but that would be the only way they could be "killed."

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone use the Adobe dng universal raw file? As I understand it Adobe developed this to get around the problems discussed above. You can download the free Adobe DNG convertor and use it to import files from SD card / camera and save them in the dng file format to whichever folder you choose on your hard drive. From there you can open them with Affinity Photo.