You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Training videos for Affinity products

I hope that this post does not annoy some people but I wonder if I may express my point of view about training videos please.

I have only tried to watch a few and so maybe there are some that are different from those that I have seen.

Basically I have given up on them as I find the ones that I have tried to watch unfollowable to me.

They seem to be images of the full screen, usually the black background version whereas I use the light grey version that has black lettering, but people seem to rush the pointer over the menu and click click click quickly.

To me, and I realize that I might be criticised for stating this opinion, but the  videos that I have seen seem as if answering an examination question, where the audience (that is, the examiner) already knows the answer and the author of the video is trying to prove to the examiner that the author of the video knows what to do, rather than trying to teach people who do not already know the answer.

For me, not already knowing the answer and trying to learn, the presentation is too fast and too tiny and does not explain what is being done.

Can there be frames, on screen for long enough to read it and take it in, in a larger size of type please, with zoomed in views of menus showing what to click.

I hope that this is useful feedback and that this can be discussed please?

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

7 minutes ago, William Overington said:

For me, not already knowing the answer and trying to learn, the presentation is too fast and too tiny and does not explain what is being done.

If the video is too fast, adjust the playback speed (via the Settings ‘cog’ in the YouTube control console). And if the video is too tiny, switch to full screen.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Are you talking about the official Serif tutorials, or those by other presenters?

I'm sure Serif would be interested in feedback on their tutorials, probably over in the official tutorials topic. But for non-Serif tutorials, the best way of providing feedback is probably in the comments stream for the tutorial that you had problems with. It's unlikely the creator of the tutorial is reading this, or will recognize you're talking about them.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.5, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.5

21 minutes ago, KarinC said:

I would have to disagree. I have learned how to do just everything from watching videos. You should contact each channel creator separately if you have a complaint about their videos. Complaining here won't do much good.

I am not complaining. I accept that some people may well find the videos very helpful. I was just saying my point of view as feedback.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

26 minutes ago, Alfred said:

If the video is too fast, adjust the playback speed (via the Settings ‘cog’ in the YouTube control console). And if the video is too tiny, switch to full screen.

I have tried full screen.

William

1 minute ago, William Overington said:

I have tried full screen.

Are you perhaps somewhat hampered by a tiny laptop screen? Do you have a TV set or an external monitor that you could use?

Alfred spacer.png

26 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Are you talking about the official Serif tutorials, or those by other presenters?

I am not sure at present.

27 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I'm sure Serif would be interested in feedback on their tutorials, probably over in the official tutorials topic

Oh, I thought that the Tutorials part was for listing the tutorials available, not for discussion.

I was just posting a general observation as general feedback.

William

2 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Are you perhaps somewhat hampered by a tiny laptop screen?

Quite possibly.

2 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Do you have a TV set or an external monitor that you could use?

No.

William

23 minutes ago, William Overington said:

Oh, I thought that the Tutorials part was for listing the tutorials available, not for discussion.

Some discussion takes place in the topics where the official tutorials are listed, especially for comments on the tutorials, I think. 

But that forum section is not a place where new discussion topics would be welcome, as far as I know.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.5, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.5

45 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Do you have a TV set or an external monitor that you could use?

42 minutes ago, William Overington said:

No.

You can buy a monitor with a 19″ screen for less than £100 new, or £30 to £50 for a refurb. For reference, large laptops have screens whose diagonal measures about 16″ (commonly 15.6″) or 17″.

You would also need an HDMI cable, but that shouldn’t cost more than £5 or £10.

Alfred spacer.png

1 hour ago, William Overington said:

too tiny

If you have a laptop or a separate trackpad device you can use its zoom gesture in many apps, browser windows included.

"Pinch to Zoom in Windows 11"  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ko5eeURYpT8

Bildschirmfoto2024-05-05um23_40_31.jpg.8c32acca216b426074ae7ae23c1bb67d.jpg

And you can use a mouse that allows you to configure a button for zoom-in/-out, like this for instance:
(Logitech-MX-Vertical-Advanced-Ergonomic-Mouse)

Logitech-MX-Vertical-Advanced-Ergonomic-Mouse-02-copy-191540007.jpg.cb6e9b568352b12c891322be147bcaf8.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1