You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher won’t update changed files placed from iCloud Drive

Like the subject says. I have a multipage doc, with lotsa images placed (linked) on my iCloud Drive. If I change the linked files, it doesn’t update. If I look at the file itself… yup… it’s changed. It’s like it’s caching the old file, which would be a bad thing. Looking at it in the resource manager doesn’t notice it’s been changed, so cannot update there. Selecting and “replacing” the file doesn’t update it. I have to physically delete it from the layout and place it again. 

23 minutes ago, Jpburns said:

Here's a weird added detail:

All of these files are on m iCloud Drive, but some of them are marked Linked (Remote), as opposed to just "Linked." What the heck?

Remote means the link to the file is broken, that the image has been deleted. Click one of those images and check the file path. Then use Finder to confirm the image is actually there. If it is, is it fully downloaded? Maybe that's the source of the issue. If it is there and it's downloaded, I don't know the answer.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

They’re fine. I can open them, edit them, but they don’t update in Publisher (like I said). 

also… the status is “ok.” If they were broken or missing it would say so. 

2 minutes ago, Jpburns said:

They’re fine. I can open them, edit them, but they don’t update in Publisher (like I said). 

also… the status is “ok.” If they were broken or missing it would say so. 

Not with a cloud drive. If you link an iCloud image in Publisher and then delete the image, its status will change to (remote).

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, MikeTO said:

Not with a cloud drive. If you link an iCloud image in Publisher and then delete the image, its status will change to (remote).

And yet they’re not deleted. In fact, I edited it by double-clicking in the layers palette. After saving, no update. 

…also, this is not saying “remote” on the status line. That says “ok”

Edited by Jpburns
Additional info

2 minutes ago, Jpburns said:

And yet they’re not deleted. In fact, I edited it by double-clicking in the layers palette. After saving, no update. 

You could try relinking them and seeing if it sticks. If that doesn't work I don't have an answer.

5 minutes ago, MikeTO said:

You could try relinking them and seeing if it sticks. If that doesn't work I don't have an answer.

Like I said in my first post, that doesn’t change anything (doesn’t update). 

8 hours ago, MikeTO said:

Remote means the link to the file is broken, that the image has been deleted

I dont think that is correct

"Linked (Remote)" primarily specifies it's an image on a webpage. Not a missing image

https://affinity.help/publisher2/en-US.lproj/pages/Media/placeImagesWeb.html

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Just now, carl123 said:

I dont think that is correct

"Linked (Remote)" primarily specifies it's an image on a webpage. Not a missing image

You'll get the same message for a deleted iCloud image - it will have status = missing and placement = Linked (Remote). The Remote is added when you delete it. I don't know why it works this way.

1 hour ago, MikeTO said:

You'll get the same message for a deleted iCloud image - it will have status = missing and placement = Linked (Remote).

The OP's screenshot shows the status as OK not missing, so something else is going on here

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

For DropBox and iCloud (vs drag/drop from the web), perhaps it is related to whether the Linked image is present on the user's machine or whether it's only in the cloud.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

30 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

For DropBox and iCloud (vs drag/drop from the web), perhaps it is related to whether the Linked image is present on the user's machine or whether it's only in the cloud.

But again, I’m actively editing the placed files (no drag and drop involved). It’s the updating that’s hosed. I’ve gone back to editing on my iPad until I resolve this. 

• Staff

Hi @Jpburns,

This isn't something I can replicate, so doesn't look like a bug that affects placing files from iCloud in general, otherwise, i'd be able to replicate it.  

I do know, that if you renamed a file that's linked on iCloud it would then show as Linked Remote BUT it would also show as missing. Same if you deleted the image from iCloud.  This specific situation was raised with the Developers but closed as By Design with this comment 'Cloud resources are assumed to be remote unless we can prove they have been downloaded and transitioned to the local state.'  This might be the issue @MikeTOwas referring to, but it doesn't apply here due to your Status showing as okay.

If you select one of the Linked Remote images in the Resource Manager and click on Show In Finder, does it open Finder and display the correct image?

Yes. It shows up in the Library…blah-blah-blah iCloud directory. 

I may have precipitated this by renaming a subdirectory on my iCloud Drive where some of the elements were stored. I had to relink (on the iPad) and everything seemed to be working on the Mac, until I tried to update a placed Designer file. I’ve been working on this file on the iPad over the last day or so (with no problems), as I’m trying to finish this project (a comic).

• Staff
17 minutes ago, Jpburns said:

I may have precipitated this by renaming a subdirectory on my iCloud Drive where some of the elements were stored.

That could certainly upset things, as that would change the path to the Linked file.

6 hours ago, stokerg said:

That could certainly upset things, as that would change the path to the Linked file.

But again, the file was available to be edited via double-clicking in layers palette. It was just after editing, it wouldn’t update in the document.