You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Destination folder of exports

Hello,

I'm having trouble with exports. Or rather with where Affinity Photo puts them. It seems that it always exports to the last folder chosen. And one has to choose a new destination manually each time. 

Is there a setting I can change to have Affinity export back to the original folder automatically, like it is in Photoshop, or do I have to do that manually every time and I just have to get used to it? 

12 minutes ago, Linda1983 said:

Is there a setting I can change to have Affinity export back to the original folder automatically,

Not currently but it has been requested in the past and may be implemented in a future update/upgrade

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Just to put your export destination folder problem in perspective, users have been requesting a fix for this export location dysfunction for about 9 years. So far Affinity has never acknowledged that it even recognizes that a problem exists for those users that see it as a problem.

I last commented on this problem last July in one of the many threads about this problem.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/189565-export-location-option-to-source-file/#comment-1108795

It is just one of the many poorly thought out features of Affinity that we either find a compelling reason to put up with or a compelling reason to use another product.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/201189-each-document-should-remember-export-location/&do=findComment&comment=1190038

Affinity Photo 2.4.2 (MSI) and 1.10.6; Affinity Publisher 2.4.2 (MSI) and 1.10.6. Windows 10 Home x64 version 22H2.
Dell XPS 8940, 16 GB Ram, Intel Core i7-11700K @ 3.60 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060

1 hour ago, Granddaddy said:

Just to put your export destination folder problem in perspective, users have been requesting a fix for this export location dysfunction for about 9 years. So far Affinity has never acknowledged that it even recognizes that a problem exists for those users that see it as a problem.

Affinity would do well to listen to its users. It's little things like this that matter, especially to those of us who are trying to get away from Adobe Photoshop; it's a step back.

Other little things I'm running into: a crop tool that keeps going back to Unrestrained, and a resizing tool that keeps going back to Bilinear. I don't see options to change the default on either, but I'm very new to Affinity so maybe I'm looking in all the wrong places? 

1 hour ago, Linda1983 said:

Affinity would do well to listen to its users.

They do, but over the years there have been so many different feature requests (including disagreements about how they should be implemented) that they have been forced to pick & choose sparingly among the ones they think will benefit the greatest number of users to focus their development efforts on.

There are hopes that now that deep-pockets Canva has acquired the company that things will improve in this respect but nobody can say with any certainty if that is realistic or not.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

17 hours ago, R C-R said:

They do, but over the years there have been so many different feature requests

Sure, I get that, but this is about basic functionality that a new user runs into immediately. It is very annoying to have to constantly change a setting because you don't want to use the default setting, so much so that I can't use Affinity as my standard image editor. 

Thanks everyone for the help. 

File > Open Folder in Explorer

Will quickly allow you to copy the original folder location/path to the clipboard

Which you can then paste into the Export screen along with your desired file name

That should be a lot quicker than having to navigate to the correct folder each time - whilst you wait for Affinity to implement a more efficient solution

(Above is for Windows, not sure about Macs)

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

2 hours ago, carl123 said:

Folder in Explorer

I'll just add, that File Explorer can pin frequently used folders, so it's not a problem to easily reuse project folders.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

5 hours ago, Linda1983 said:

Thank you both, but I’m on a Mac. 

Then you can use File > Reveal in Finder to open a window in Finder showing the folder the file is in. You can then drag & drop that folder's title into the export window in Affinity to automatically change the save location to that folder.

This works with any app on Macs when you want to save a file to a location you can show in a Finder window.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I'm aware of that, but it's a workaround. It shouldn't be necessary. Affinity should just remember by default.

Just like all the defaults that can't be changed. Yes, you can change them, but you have to do it every bloody time you open a pic in there. Even selections is defaulted at "subtract" and can't be changed to anything else. I have never before had to constantly change so many default settings before. But with Affinity I am forever clicking. It's ridiculous. 

So again, thanks for the help. But Affinity is not for me.