You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Export Location Option to Source File

Please consider adding the option when exporting files to default the location into the same folder as the file being edited as opposed to the last export location for the initial export after opening a new file.   To me this would be a considerable time savings and reduce a constant frustration with Designer (and the other apps).  This can be an option and not enabled by default so that the current behavior (default exports to the last export location) is still available for those that find that more convenient.  

Hi Shawn

Agreed! I've seen the topic discussed here in other threads, but not in one too many. It has frustrated me for ages that Affinity (and other applications) cannot be set up to take into account that you have a workflow where every file and its related files, including what is being exported, are in the same place, in the same folder - or subfolder.

My workflow is always and never anything other than e.g something like this:

PROJECT FOLDER
/Backups
/Export
/Images
/Text
main.afdesign
embedded.afdesign

My workflow is to copy files into this folder, and then access them from Affinity OR export to the Export folder.

This workflow is disrupted in Affinity by placing me in a completely different paths in file dialogues in a disturbingly large number of contexts, after which I have to click through to the folder where main.afdesign is located.

Experienced Quality Assurance Manager - I strive for excellence in complex professional illustrations through efficient workflows in modern applications, supporting me in achieving my and my colleagues' goals through the most achievable usability and contemporary, easy-to-use user interfaces.

Users have been requesting fixes to the default export location ever since Affinity was first released about eight years ago. To date we have all been ignored. Sometimes we are told we are wrong to even want such fixes. It is infuriating that files are not exported to the location of the original file but instead are exported by default to the folder last used, which may be for a completely different project and for completely different purposes.  It is especially frustrating when files from several different folders are being worked on simultaneously.

Using Affinity requires a very high level of tolerance for poor design decisions made long ago. Perhaps old coding decisions make difficult what ought to be simple changes. See, for instance, the myriad discussions on the readability of the user interface, especially on modern high-resolution monitors.

Affinity Photo 2.4.2 (MSI) and 1.10.6; Affinity Publisher 2.4.2 (MSI) and 1.10.6. Windows 10 Home x64 version 22H2.
Dell XPS 8940, 16 GB Ram, Intel Core i7-11700K @ 3.60 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060

1 hour ago, Granddaddy said:

Users have been requesting fixes to the default export location ever since Affinity was first released about eight years ago. To date we have all been ignored. Sometimes we are told we are wrong to even want such fixes. It is infuriating that files are not exported to the location of the original file but instead are exported by default to the folder last used, which may be for a completely different project and for completely different purposes.  It is especially frustrating when files from several different folders are being worked on simultaneously.

Using Affinity requires a very high level of tolerance for poor design decisions made long ago. Perhaps old coding decisions make difficult what ought to be simple changes. See, for instance, the myriad discussions on the readability of the user interface, especially on modern high-resolution monitors.

As others have mentioned, it's surreal that the oddly microscopic interface wasn't coded into an up-to-date scalable one in v2.  I see ominous signs that Affinity is built on an outdated static architecture that we all have to suffer from. But that won't work in the long run. I'm buying a new monitor this year, and if I can't see Affinity on the screen, I can see other programs - and then it's goodbye. I can only hope that Serif is quietly working on a new architecture, but it will probably be for v3, and you don't wait that long when you can't see the interface in 4K.

But back to the topic. I completely agree with @Bitarts & @ShawnG

• 3 months later...

I too add to this request, as I have done several times before and I'm certainly not the only one, but one of very many. 

The current setup is frustrating, inefficient and time consuming.

There are two gripes with Affinity, this export file location issue and the inability to easily add borders to images. 

Hopefully this post will keep the thread alive.