You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can I stop the "fit to screen" feature when changing pages in publisher

I'm currently working on a document in publisher and I would like to maintain a regular 100% zoom while working on the document but no matter what when I change pages it goes to an 84.4% zoom to fit the entire page on screen. Is it possible to turn this feature off or to set a 100% zoom default?

• Staff

Welcome to the forums @Onett_AC,

Double clicking to select a page will automatically move the view to the selected page and fit the full page on your app window size on screen. As far as I'm aware there isn't a way to change it to retain your current zoom level or a pre-defined value when double clicking a page, you'd need to set this manually, for example using the CTRL + 1 shortcut to set the zoom level to 100% after selecting the page.

The Document menu commands (and their shortcuts) Document > Next|Previous Page, Document > First|Last Page, and Document > Go to Page will maintain the current zoom level, as will the scroll bar in the workspace.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 hours ago, NathanC said:

when double clicking a page

Also when using the spage/spread numbers in the bottom left corner the zoom level gets reset. While using the arrows left /right of this numbers does maintain the zoom level this tools move + centre the page/spread instead of maintaining its current horizontal coordinate.

5 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

The Document menu commands (and their shortcuts) Document > Next|Previous Page, Document > First|Last Page, and Document > Go to Page will maintain the current zoom level,

While it maintains the zoom level, also this method does not maintain the horizontal position but centres the page/spread.

So it appears only manual scrolling can be used to switch a page with keeping zoom level + horizontal position, which is rather imprecise and does not allow to jump to a certain page number.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

On my Mac, using the trackpad, a double tap with two fingers in the central area toggles between 100% zoom and current zoom. I find this very handy… 

Affinity Suite 2.4 – Monterey 12.7.4 – MacBookPro 14" 2021 M1 Pro 16Go/1To

I apologise for any approximations in my English. It is not my mother tongue.

18 minutes ago, Oufti said:

I find this very handy… 

Its 'handyness' may vary with the spread aspect ratio (+ document/screen resolution) because it zooms to the centre if it gets used in the full spread view (i.e. after double-click in the Pages Panel or CMD-0) which zooms to the spine on 2-page spreads. Unfortunately even having a layout object selected does not ensure a 100%-zoom reliable to this specific page area, neither with trackpad double-tap nor with keyboard shortcut CMD-1. (unlike zooming via the scroll wheel, which takes the cursor position into account quite well)

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

22 hours ago, Onett_AC said:

I'm currently working on a document in publisher and I would like to maintain a regular 100% zoom while working on the document but no matter what when I change pages it goes to an 84.4% zoom to fit the entire page on screen. Is it possible to turn this feature off or to set a 100% zoom default?

I'm in a similar situation because I like to work on a laptop screen and changing pages, except with scrolling, resets zoom to a level I can't read.

Tip: If you can live without the rulers, turn off Show Rulers. If you can live without the toolbar, turn off Show Toolbar. I get about 5% more zoom with these both off but it will depend on your document.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)