You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Seeing which Master is applied to a page

I'm sure there is a simple answer to this, but when I'm working in Publisher, how do I see which Master Page is applied to the page I'm looking at?

Also, is it possible to have more than one master applied to a page? I'm seeing something weird where some text is doubling up, but when I apply the correct master to the page it goes away. I think it's happening because there are two possible masters I could use on that page, and one of them has the text frame slightly moved from the other. However, that would mean two masters would be on that page. Is that even possible?

1) To know which Master pages are applied to a page, open the Pages side panel and hover above the pages. A tooltip will indicate the Master pages applied. 

2) Yes, it's possible to have multiple Master pages applied to one page. (E.g. one including the page number and another with the main text frame.)

Affinity Suite 2.4 – Monterey 12.7.4 – MacBookPro 14" 2021 M1 Pro 16Go/1To

I apologise for any approximations in my English. It is not my mother tongue.

6 minutes ago, philipt18 said:

I'm sure there is a simple answer to this, but when I'm working in Publisher, how do I see which Master Page is applied to the page I'm looking at?

Also, is it possible to have more than one master applied to a page? I'm seeing something weird where some text is doubling up, but when I apply the correct master to the page it goes away. I think it's happening because there are two possible masters I could use on that page, and one of them has the text frame slightly moved from the other. However, that would mean two masters would be on that page. Is that even possible?

Hello @philipt18,

once you hover with the mouse over a page in the pages panel you will see a little popup that lists all master pages assigne to that page (or spread).

And, yes, you can apply multiple master pages to one page or spread. Just make sure you do not replace the existent masterpage (right click on a page and choose 'Assign master...'

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

You can hover the cursor over the Actual page you are interested in and it will show the applied Master Page in a tooltip.

ScreenShot2024-04-02at8_26_48AM.png.b3b3ed2dd67b12aedecdad5a8ccba03e.png

You can look in the Layers panel and see the little icon for the Master Page.

ScreenShot2024-04-02at8_26_01AM.png.aaac39be8eddea190e43e068f2153dd8.png

We can use multiple Master Pages on one page. One thing I do is set up a Master Page for the page numbers and headers and apply that to my various Master Pages so I use use just one Master Page.

Or you can apply a second Master Page to an Actual page* by choosing to not Replace Existing Master Pages.

ScreenShot2024-04-02at8_31_50AM.png.43ccd1d56198517325f2c8928d6916d8.png

* Right click on the Actual Page in the Pages panel and choose from the context menu.

Screen Shot 2024-04-02 at 8.26.24 AM.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

5 minutes ago, philipt18 said:

Is there any other way besides hovering to see which masters are applied?

Use the Layers Panel.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

1 minute ago, Old Bruce said:

Use the Layers Panel.

I'm seeing the same thing. It shows me one master, but the header is still doubled. If it's not two masters, then does anyone have a different explanation of what is happening?

Are you sure it can display more than one master in either place?

I think I've figured out what the two masters are. I moved some stuff around awhile back and I see that one of the headers is .2 points to the left of the other one. That would explain the bold text, but I still can't figure out how to identify where this is happening. If I didn't mess up that header, I would never know this was going on.

12 minutes ago, philipt18 said:

Are you sure it can display more than one master in either place?

PNG50-Capturedcran2024-04-0218_31_19.png.d48ca969baede8e93de40d187f0111d1.png

18 minutes ago, philipt18 said:

[The Layers Panel] shows me one master, but the header is still doubled. If it's not two masters, then does anyone have a different explanation of what is happening?

We would have to see what is inside the Layers Panel… ;) 

Affinity Suite 2.4 – Monterey 12.7.4 – MacBookPro 14" 2021 M1 Pro 16Go/1To

I apologise for any approximations in my English. It is not my mother tongue.

Here's a video showing what I'm seeing, which is multiple copies of text frames within the same master. Forget the second example I mention at the end, I thought it was different, but it ended up being the same problem. I still don't understand why if you apply a master to the left page of a spread, that the frames from the right page of the spread also show up in the list.

59 minutes ago, philipt18 said:

If it's not two masters, then does anyone have a different explanation of what is happening?

One thing could be that a Master Page had its header moved/promoted to the Actual page. Lot of ways that could have happened.

I watched your little video and have to ask, how many Master Pages do you have? 

7 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

One thing could be that a Master Page had its header moved/promoted to the Actual page. Lot of ways that could have happened.

I watched your little video and have to ask, how many Master Pages do you have? 

I have more than I use. Remnants of my original setup when I didn't understand as much as I do now (which admittedly isn't enough or I wouldn't be having this problem).

It only happens when the left and right pages of the spread have different master pages applied to them. I wonder if this is a bug related to the fact that the items on the right side show up even if only the left side is applied (and visa versa). I've always found that weird, and never heard a good explanation as to why that was done.

The problem with the doubled text frames may be down to using 2 page spreads on single pages. Could be other things too.