You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have mapped Cycle selection box to F1 (help is on F12) and there are no conflicting shortcuts, however, "F1", unlike "." does not allow me to cycle the selection box.

Steps to reproduce

1. Create a rectangle
2. Rotate the rectangle
3. Make sure the rectangle is selected and go to Edit > Settings > Shortcuts > Select > Cycle Selection box and map it to F1
image.png.7e5a1aeeb668a794bbe6f21bc02ca8fa.png

4. Close out of the shortcuts and press F1 with the rotated rectangle selected
5. Notice how this doesn't do anything, to verify, go to the Select menu > Cycle selection box
6. Alternatively, go back to the Shortcuts and change the shortcut to "." and notice how the period key does cycle the selection box.

This is on Windows 10.0.19045.

I think that's by design. The F1 shortcut seems to be reserved for Designer Help. When you changed it from the default period or decimal point (.), you should have a yellow warning triangle telling you it's for the Help.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

42 minutes ago, Ron P. said:

The F1 shortcut seems to be reserved for Designer Help. When you changed it from the default period or decimal point (.), you should have a yellow warning triangle telling you it's for the Help.

The OP said they'd changed Help to F12, so there should be no warning message.

I can confirm (at least in 2.4.2 beta on Windows) that I can change Help to F12, then use F1 for other functions such as File > Exit.

I can also confirm that I can assign F1 to Cycle Selection Box, and it works for me.

And it also works on 2.4.1, for me. This is all on Designer, by the way.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

Thanks for your report @Intuos5!

I'm seeing the same behaviour as Walt on Windows 10, Designer 2.4.1 - with the Help shortcut set to F12 and the Cycle Selection Box set to F1, both of these shortcuts function correctly for me -

Are you using an ENG UK/US QWERTY Keyboard layout? As a different layout may explain why we're unable to replicate this at this time :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

Thanks for verifying that for me - we've tested with multiple keyboard layouts and input languages here and we're still unable to replicate this issue.

Can you please try either resetting your keyboard shortcuts within Affinity, or set a different function to the F1 key - then try using this again.

If you reset the shortcuts, does F1 open the Helpfile as expected? If you set a different custom shortcut, does this work as expected?

It's possible that another application is 'taking hold' of the shortcut, stopping the key from being detected in Affinity - for example we've seen this previously with 'CTRL+D' when TinyTake is active on a users PC.

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

1 hour ago, Dan C said:

Thanks for verifying that for me - we've tested with multiple keyboard layouts and input languages here and we're still unable to replicate this issue.

Can you please try either resetting your keyboard shortcuts within Affinity, or set a different function to the F1 key - then try using this again.

If you reset the shortcuts, does F1 open the Helpfile as expected? If you set a different custom shortcut, does this work as expected?

It's possible that another application is 'taking hold' of the shortcut, stopping the key from being detected in Affinity - for example we've seen this previously with 'CTRL+D' when TinyTake is active on a users PC.

@Dan C Resetting the shortcuts and then changing the Help to F12 and Cycle selection box to F1 indeed fixes the issue.

But when I load my shortcuts from the saved file, it stops working again (and there's no yellow triangle to indicate any conflicts). 
Would you mind inspecting shortcuts file? It's machine language in Notepad, so I can't inspect it myself. I made extensive changes, which I don't want to redo.

E: File should have been named 2.4 Shortcuts 🙄

AD 2.1 Shortcuts - F1 conflict.afshort

• Staff

Apologies for the delayed response here as I was out of the office yesterday - I can confirm that I'm seeing multiple issues with your shortcuts file, that I've yet been able to replicate from scratch.

I'm in the process of attempting to repair these shortcuts, so that I can return a working .afshorts file to you that does not require a complete recreation, but this will take a little longer for me to complete, so I appreciate your continued patience here!

In the meantime, can you please confirm for me, have these shortcuts perhaps been transferred to/from beta versions at any point?
Is there a chance these were originally created in V2.1 or before?

I ask as we're aware of a specific issue with some shortcuts between V2.1 and V2.2 and I suspect that may be related, and explain why I cannot replicate this from scratch in 2.4 currently :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

12 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Apologies for the delayed response here as I was out of the office yesterday - I can confirm that I'm seeing multiple issues with your shortcuts file, that I've yet been able to replicate from scratch.

I'm in the process of attempting to repair these shortcuts, so that I can return a working .afshorts file to you that does not require a complete recreation, but this will take a little longer for me to complete, so I appreciate your continued patience here!

In the meantime, can you please confirm for me, have these shortcuts perhaps been transferred to/from beta versions at any point?
Is there a chance these were originally created in V2.1 or before?

I ask as we're aware of a specific issue with some shortcuts between V2.1 and V2.2 and I suspect that may be related, and explain why I cannot replicate this from scratch in 2.4 currently :)

No worries about the delay, I'm glad you can help!

The shortcuts originally stem from 1.8 or 1.9 iirc (bought the suite on 25-11-2021 and made immediate modifications).  Don't know with which I started. I've kept most of ths Beta shortcuts separate, though I did transfer them over at least twice (once recently for 2.4 and possibly during 2.1-2.2*). In addition, I have transfered Designer's shortcuts to Publisher and vice versa when I made extensive changes while working in on or the other almost exclusively). But up until this point I haven't really encountered any issues like this (always tested the recent assignments when I transferred them over - which I partially did for the lack of a search feature to help remove duplicates or to quickly locate tools).

* There's been a time where thd beta was stable thanks to a fix for the canvas freezing with zooming and panning.

• Staff

Many thanks for confirming this information for me and for your continued patience!

I believe that I have been able to resolve this issue with your Shortcut file without affecting other shortcuts - please find this attached below.

I'd recommend using the Clear All Shortcuts option, then restarting the app to ensure you are starting from a clean state.
ow, try loading the Shortcut file within the app and using your shortcuts.

You should hopefully find the F1 shortcut works, and can be un/re-assigned, as required. I'd also recommend checking your other shortcuts, as hopefully these have not been affected in my recovery process.

I'm also logging your shortcuts file with our development team for further investigation, to try and understand why this has occurred and to reduce the chance of it happening again in the future - I hope this helps :D

AD 2.1 Shortcuts_RA.afshort

Please note -

Many thanks!

• Staff

No problem at all, thanks for providing this also!

I'm unsure if the same issues are occurring in Publisher for you, as I can see similar conflict issues in the XML files as your Designer Shortcuts - therefore I have completed the same 'fix' for your Publisher shortcuts also and have attached this below :)

APu 2.4 Shortcuts_RA.afshort

Please note -

Many thanks!