You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Export of vector image give warning "some areas will be rasterised"

Vector brushes in Affinity Designer are not fully vector. They are raster images stretched along a vector path, except for the basic brushes.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I think it’s because they use rasters that are drawn along a vector, rather than being ‘hand-drawn’.

In a similar way, the Vector Crop Tool in designer doesn’t just crop vectors.

I think some of the Basic brushes are wholly-vector.

Note: Use of Adjustments and/or Blend Modes may also cause a wholly-vector design to be rasterised.

I think that all of the brushes in the Basic brush category of the Designer Persona were true vector, but that category is no longer distributed with Designer any more. Some of its brushes are still supplied, but I've lost track of which brush categories they're in now.

Solid Pen with Pressure in Pens is one, I think.

I don't know where the solid round brushes went, assuming they're still supplied.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

I can’t see the ‘Basic’ brush category in the Designer Persona of Designer in either V2 or V1. Did I imagine it?

I think the only ‘truly-vector’ brushes in V2 are the two Solid Pen brushes in the Pens category – if you edit them there’s no bitmap shown at the bottom of the dialog.

Here are the Basic Brushes which can be imported into Designer and Linked across apps...

Basic.afbrushes

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

1 minute ago, GarryP said:

I can’t see the ‘Basic’ brush category in the Designer Persona of Designer in either V2 or V1. Did I imagine it?

It was removed in 1.8. You can get them from Affinity Spotlight: https://affinityspotlight.com/article/get-legacy-affinity-brushes/

-- Walt
PC: