You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Warping stripes on curves

I'm running into problems trying to warp vertical stripes to a curve, like if you had stripes emanating from the center of a circle and just a slice of the edge was used (image 1). The curve will be printed as the vertical area of a bucket hat (the B section of image 2). For this attempt, I'm using Designer & quad mesh but I've also tried Photo's mesh warp live layer filter; both results still aren't what I'm looking for but I figured that warping vectors would give me more flexibility. 

What I'm trying to do is make the stripes appear relatively similar in width. It makes sense to angle the edges of the stripes to match the edges of the curve but I have yet to create anything better than what I've shared here. I know that the stripes should be a little narrower at the top of the curve than at the bottom but it just seems off.

I did try warping a smaller section that was just the height of the curve, thinking I could angle the sides, drag the middle down and then adjust the nodes but somehow that looked even worse. [EDIT: that was with rasters, and I realized at this vector warp would be easier if the size was closer to the curve's height]

Am I using the wrong warp method? Or am I overthinking this?

the curve with stripes.png

bucket-hat-b-section.jpeg

• Staff

Hi @Joe S.,

I wouldn't say I have a particularly good eye for this, but I created a rough 0pt curve path for the 'B' section, and pasted in a vectorised version of your stripes design and applied a standard horizontal Arc warp to it to match the general shape, scaled it up and nested this into the curve.

There are likely some much better methods to keep the stripes around the same relative width which other users may be aware of. 🙂

Bucket Hat Nest + Warp.afdesign

Thank you, I will check that out today!

I've tried using dashed outlines to 'line up' the columns but it takes so many adjustments to get it right. I now see why people don't design too many bucket hats with vertical stripes, I'm not sure it's worth the effort 😆

1 hour ago, Joe S. said:

bucket hats with vertical stripes

On 3/5/2024 at 5:24 PM, Joe S. said:

Am I using the wrong warp method?

You could also use a random photo of a similar hat and distort the stripes using Live Displacement Map in Photo:

aph_displacement_map_bucket_hat_stripes.png.6810b540be5f681fef3d2a81f8e48e54.png

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

2 hours ago, Joe S. said:

I had no idea what a 'displacement map' was until now

You can do amazing things, if the source has a nice structure. Here a random screenshot from my forum attachment archives (I don't remember in which context I posted it though):

aph_live_text_blend_range_displacement.png.9bfc95b370d8c22e2295cba245c7043c.png

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

1 hour ago, Joe S. said:

Very cool.

Some like it hot.

Sorry, just couldn't help myself. One of the best movies ever. Only peripherally related to music.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

44 minutes ago, Joe S. said:

I've never seen it, assuming you mean the movie from the (iirc) '50s?

Yes, starring Marilyn Monroe, Jack Lemmon, and Tony Curtis.  "Like Jello on springs."

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

17 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Yes, starring Marilyn Monroe, Jack Lemmon, and Tony Curtis.

Well, nobody's perfect, but you forgot to mention Joe E. Brown!

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

19 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

One of the best movies ever.

One of the few great classic American movies that we got to see as kids in the communist Czechoslovakia of the 1970s…

6 minutes ago, loukash said:

One of the few great classic American movies that we got to see as kids in the communist Czechoslovakia of the 1970s…

Wow. How did that slip through?

I guess it could be read/viewed as a condemnation of idle millionaires and their closeness to organized crime. Not to mention the pervasive trend towards criminality in the West.