You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Gradient fill colour

Hi

When using gradient fill (for text box currently), how do you set the colours?

I can only work out how to set 1 colour. Somehow, usually I end up with white & another colour, which is OK, but today, I seem to have the white as grey & can't get back to white.

So, in the same vein, how would I for instance set colours to be e.g. red to yellow?

Thanks

Hi

Sorry, yes, text frame.

So, to summarise, you have to select a fill colour & fill the whole text box, with solid colour & then go to gradient & select your second colour.

Seems a bit cack-handed, but I guess it works. Is there not an option to change both colours? If for instance, I decide that instead of red/yellow, I want green/purple?

Thanks

6 minutes ago, DebSki said:

you have to select a fill colour & fill the whole text box, with solid colour & then go to gradient & select your second colour.

No.

You can use either method to give the Frame Text layer a Fill of either a solid colour or a gradient depending on what you want to do.

Setting the gradient works in the same way for this as it does when setting the gradient for most other things.

I’ve attached a video showing how you can do it with the Gradient Tool, which I find easier to do.

Note: The Text Frame Panel method only allow you to create a new gradient Fill as a horizontal linear fill.

37 minutes ago, GarryP said:

the Gradient Tool and changing the Context (in the Context Toolbar) to Fill and Frame – see attached image.

Thanks, I never noticed this yet!
After all those years I can still learn something new, and it's been there all along since v1. :) 

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

33 minutes ago, DebSki said:

Thanks so much

You’re welcome.

It’s worth experimenting with the Gradient Tool as it can do a lot of interesting things.

For example, my attached image shows:

• Frame – Elliptical Gradient Fill on Fill with Bitmap Fill on Stroke;
  • Text – Bitmap Fill on Fill and Linear Gradient Fill on Stroke.

Th example image is horrible to look at but it shows what’s possible.

image.png.fc5c313bb379f53fbee6335e2cc81dac.png

19 minutes ago, loukash said:

It’s one of those functionalities that is ‘hidden in plain sight’ but very useful once you know about it.

I read about these sort of things in the forums so often. Just one of the reasons why I think users should get more involved with the forums.

There’s so much to learn which isn’t obvious and it only takes someone to say “Have you tried <this>?” to set you down a new road of discovery.

Indeed. Frustratingly, many of these things aren't in either the help file or in Mike Loader's Expert Guide - at least, not that I could find by searching things like gradient fil, colour.... etc.

The forum is great! I've asked several questions on things that ought to be obvious & I've always had a very prompt response & never been told that it was a dumb question as it was obvious!

Thanks to all the geniuses (genii?) that contribute!

2 minutes ago, DebSki said:

many of these things aren't in either the help fil

To be fair, this particular feature is mentioned in affinity.help/publisher2/en-US.lproj/pages/Tools/tools_gradient.html

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

5 hours ago, GarryP said:

It’s one of those functionalities that is ‘hidden in plain sight’ but very useful once you know about it.

I read about these sort of things in the forums so often. Just one of the reasons why I think users should get more involved with the forums.

There’s so much to learn which isn’t obvious and it only takes someone to say “Have you tried <this>?” to set you down a new road of discovery.

1,000% right.  My modus operandi.  

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

6 hours ago, loukash said:

After all those years I can still learn something new, and it's been there all along since v1. :) 

I do have to admit same with me. I never noticed that it is possible to add a gradient to a text frame this way. Maybe because I mostly use unstyled textframes 🙂

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil