You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Frame Text Tool - Tutorial for Affinity Designer, Photo, and Publisher

@TrentL Your videos are wonderfully clear and really helpful! There is just one thing in this one that you might not have found. At least on MAC it is possible to Insert filler text and edit it if you go to Settings>Text and check Insert filler text as text. The default is unchecked. This option is available in Publisher, Designer, and Photo.  When this is checked, one can change fonts from word to word, split the filler text into paragraphs, experiment with tab settings, etc.  Very handy and not immediately discoverable☺️

Screenshot2024-02-23at14_29_59.thumb.png.72394382494919bf332a5c16b8e7fa55.png

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

@jmwellborn @Return Thanks, those are both good points that I was not aware of!

Also, someone else told me that in Affinity Designer you can have Frame Text scroll across dis-joint areas, although the usability seems a little bit less than in Affinity Publisher. Below I created 2 rectangles, did a boolean ADD on them, then converted them to a Text Frame. 

image.png.948341e6aa9be2761b49031c2aa41035.png

17 hours ago, TrentL said:

Below I created 2 rectangles, did a boolean ADD on them, then converted them to a Text Frame.

This will not flow in the same sense as in publisher though.
It will see it as one object and will continue to have the text run from left to right instead of on next line.

On 2/24/2024 at 7:35 AM, Return said:

This will not flow in the same sense as in publisher though.
It will see it as one object and will continue to have the text run from left to right instead of on next line.

Thanks, I demo'd this on my livestream today. I basically told people that it is a neat little trick in Affinity Designer, but if they really want the full power of text formatting, they should use Affinity Publisher.