You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Seamless paterns

Hi, is it posible make seamles paterns for artists who loves to draw and se result real time. Similar like in Paintstorm studio. When pres on seamles icon it could tile existing artboard to 9 squares.

2024-02-22 14_16_36-Paintstorm.png

Yes, you can do this in Affinity Photo from the application menu, Layer -> New Pattern Layer… (or New Pattern Layer From Selection). You'll then be prompted with a dialog allowing you to set the width and height of the tiled area, which will then be shown as a grey square outline on the layer itself. You can then draw anywhere on the layer and the pattern will update in realtime.

CleanShot2024-02-22at07_37_37@2x.thumb.png.1fe3a64b8b131b9a215faedfa4b19d30.png

Every Affinity app enables you with the Fill Tool > Bitmap Fill to use any raster image as scaled, rotated, mirrored and endless pattern.

For instance:  patternfill.jpg.46b0c260fea9f112e0ed0387da52687b.jpg

patternbitmapfill.thumb.jpg.1a0726f481edbbd49c09bb6d453d450d.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

9 minutes ago, GarryP said:

things you can do with Pattern Layers.

Do Pattern Layers layers allow to use nested layers (pixel or vector) to maintain editable pattern items?

patternlayer.thumb.jpg.d8365c27c61ea097d6190d6ef98b537d.jpg

51 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Do Pattern Layers layers allow to use nested layers (pixel or vector) to maintain editable pattern items?

No, this is not working. You can nest a vector layer to a pattern layer but this does not make the vector being repeated.

I sincerely hope they come up with true vector pattern layers at some time. OTOH patterns with symbols do work quite well for now.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

Hey thank you all for help, it works in very interesting way, but i get the idea. :)

Can someone help whit alpha channels?

i made custom alpha channel, black and white whit specific grayscale colors, it is for game to have specific wear. How i can copy that layer to alpha channel, i cand do that. tryed many times. In photoshop i seclect copy&paste into aplha channel and its done, here i cant find info how to do that.

Sorry, i found i need press rasteraze to mask in layers panel. Have a nice day all of you.

But its interesting i had already pixel layer, why i need to rasterize to mask, dont get it. Little bit confusing for me.

Edited by GENT

It might have been better if you put the question about alpha channels in its own thread rather than mixing it in with a discussion about seamless patterns.

Someone browsing the titles of threads for information on alpha channels may not look in a thread about seamless patterns and therefore might miss some useful/important information.

2 hours ago, GENT said:

alpha channels?

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

put the question about alpha channels in its own thread rather than mixing it in with a discussion about seamless patterns.

In particular for Pattern creation via Bitmap Fill (<- no alpha) the layers Blend Range options may help to influence alpha. The option is available for all layer types.

bitmapfillalpha.thumb.jpg.6e407c3112f8987ccb36293ce2aa8e63.jpg