You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Projects/images created with Photo V2 try to open with Photo V1

I have looked at all the FAQ and don't see anything that resembles my problem.  I've also done about 101 different searches using similar search criteria as my topic title.  In all cases, what seems to always come up is imfo about how PhotoV1 cannot open V2 images...yes I am full aware of this...but my problem is exactly opposite.

I create an image in PhotoV2 and save it, for example 01 DSS blemish hot pixel removal.afphoto .  When I go back and double-click this file to open it, PhotoV1 opens and tried to open the file, upon which I get the error message that the file was created with a newer version.  The only way I can correctly have PhotoV2 open the file is to first open PhotoV2 and then from within PhotoV2 select the file I want to open, 01 DSS blemish hot pixel removal.afphoto.  

Not sure if this is a Windows file association issue or a problem with PhotoV2.  I don't recall this being a problem when I first switched to V2, but seems to have just started happening when updated to V2.3.1  I really don't care, what I really need is for Photo files to open correctly with V2. 

John Schnupp, N3CNL
2007 R1200RT 75,542 (in hibernation)
1995 XLH 1200 106,495 (retired)
Georgia, VT

It is a Windows File Association issue. You'll need to tell Windows to use Photo 2 if you want to be able to double-click the file.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 minutes ago, John Schnupp said:

Not sure if this is a Windows file association issue or a problem with PhotoV2. 

I am not a Windows guy, but my money is on the file association. I have seen this on my Mac and it gets solved by chosing an Affinity Photo document and reassigning the Open With ... application to Photo 2. On Mac we have the choice of assigning that particular file to open with Photo 2 or All files to open with Photo 2. I would think Windows has a similar option and you may have inadvertently chosen just one particular file to open with Photo 2, leaving all the remaining files to be opened by Photo (version 1).

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Windows version, right? If so, Windows is associating ".afphoto" file extension with the v1 application not the v2.

To change:

Windows 11:

• Right-click the Start button (or use the WIN+X keyboard shortcut) and select Settings.
  • In the Settings window, choose Apps from the left panel, and then click Default apps on the right.
  • Scroll down and select Choose defaults by file type.
  • Click or tap one of the file types in the list.
  • Pick a program from the pop-up list or choose to look for an app in the Microsoft Store.
  • Select OK to save your changes. From now on, Windows will open that program when you open a file with that extension from File Explorer

Windows 10:

• Right-click the Start button (or use the WIN+X hotkey) and choose Settings.
  • In the Settings window, select Apps from the list.
  • Choose Default apps on the left.
  • Scroll down and select Choose default apps by file type.
  • Locate the file extension for which you want to change the default program.
  • If you’re unsure about the extension, open File Explorer, find the file, and use the View > File name extensions option to show file extensions.
  • In the Choose default apps by file type window, select the program to the right of the file extension.
  • If there isn’t one listed, choose Choose a default instead.
  • In the Choose an app pop-up window, pick a new program to associate with that file extension. If none listed suits your preference, try looking for an app in the Microsoft Store.
  • Windows 10 will now open the program you chose each time you open a file with that extension from File Explorer

• Staff

Hi @John Schnupp,

15 hours ago, John Schnupp said:

Not sure if this is a Windows file association issue or a problem with PhotoV2.  (...) what I really need is for Photo files to open correctly with V2. 

As above, I can confirm this is likely a Windows file association issue - and alternative method to resolve this is as follows:

• Open Windows Explorer
  • Navigate to any .afphoto file
  • Right-click on the file and select Open With... > Choose another app
  • In the dialog that opens, select Affinity Photo 2
  • Tick Always use this app to open .afphoto files and click OK

This file, and all subsequent .afphoto files should now automatically open within Affinity Photo V2 when opened from Explorer.

I hope this helps :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!