You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity v2 Apps Won't Launch in Windows 10 -Fonts?

7 hours ago, Pauls said:

@demonweasel that report would tend to suggest a font issue - you could look into resetting the font cache they may also be an issue with duplicate fonts (which can be tricky to track down unless you use a font manager). Also try booting into safe mode and see if the apps run up then

I tried the font cache reset as best I could (some of those processes weren't running or even there) but the problem persists with the same Event Manage thing. I've also attached the log file this time. I also realized that despite the topic of this thread I'm on Win 11 so I don't know if that matters 😅

Log.txt

8 hours ago, Pauls said:

@demonweasel - i've split your issue off - makes it easier to keep track. Could you zip up your windows fonts folder and I'll see if I can spot any issue there. You can upload the zip here. Could you also include a recent event viewer log and crash report please

No need! 😊😊😊

I did a search for that exception line and this post came up. After adjusting the commands to Photo it's launched and stable!

Thanks for your diligence on this. I appreciate it!

54 minutes ago, Pauls said:

that would work around the problem. If it happens again also try enabling --font-cache-logging

that might identify the problem font

Should then maybe added to the FAQ!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

On 2/7/2024 at 3:43 AM, Pauls said:

that would work around the problem. If it happens again also try enabling --font-cache-logging

that might identify the problem font

Circling back around to this. I did that step but I'm not sure where/how to access such a log.

14 minutes ago, demonweasel said:

Circling back around to this. I did that step but I'm not sure where/how to access such a log.

It will be in log.txt.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

15 minutes ago, demonweasel said:

After starting Photo --font-cache-logging, look under/inside %appdata%\Affinity\Photo\2.0\  if there is then a log.txt file inside.

And just for completness here, another fonts related cmd line option is starting the apps via --disable-font-preview-cache.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

Okie doke, that part is done and I'm now regretting having a significant amounts of fonts (I letter comics on the side, occasionally). What should I be looking for in the Log File? This is the only weird thing that stands out. I did have a drawing tablet hooked up to this machine for a while, so perhaps that has something to do with it?

Screenshot 2024-02-11 164617.png

You have a number of Variable fonts installed, I think. That probably does not account for startup problems, but they aren't supported in the Affinity applications and won't work properly in them. Compare the Style listings for Calibri and Nitalove, for example. There are others like Nitalove that show multiples of the same Style.

image.png.68f120f5b73ba4ae7e8d7d567f38e5fa.png

I'm not sure how to explain what Cascadia Mono shows, unless this means you have multiple copies of the font installed. Again, I would not expect that to cause startup problems, but could cause issues working with the font in the Affinity applications:

image.png.d12714c1dbc040d4bb9cf234622e3914.png

Sitka also looks odd, to me.

And several others.

I'm also seeing multiple sets of listings for some of these fonts (including Cascadia Mono, Sitka, and Segoe UI Variable), and I don't know how to explain that.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Yeah, I'll check those out. Since I do Lettering there are some fonts that I have which have lots of variations to them but I'm not sure how that would show up in a log like this. I'll also check in with folks in a Letterers Discord and see if they've had similar problems and/or solutions.

Just now, Pauls said:

the list is basically repeated twice for 2 different internal contexts  - I can't see anything obvious that would be causing a startup problem I'm afraid

Not even the weird wintab thing at the end? I haven't had that tablet installed in literal years and don't need it anymore. I couldn't even find it installed anymore on the computer anymore. 🤷‍♂️

12 minutes ago, demonweasel said:

Not even the weird wintab thing at the end? I haven't had that tablet installed in literal years and don't need it anymore. I couldn't even find it installed anymore on the computer anymore.

See ...

... check after that wintab32 failure, try if installing the tablet driver solves the problem. If not report back here.

3 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

I'm not sure how to explain what Cascadia Mono shows, unless this means you have multiple copies of the font installed.

That’s just the different weights (200, 300, 350, 400, 600, 700) in Regular and Italic styles.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

4 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

I'm also seeing multiple sets of listings for some of these fonts (including Cascadia Mono, Sitka, and Segoe UI Variable), and I don't know how to explain that.

Cascadia Mono variable is two font files (which are style-linked).
So what you are seeing is the default master name for each style weight.
Regular × six weights.
Italic × six weights.

Sitka is now variable in Windows 11.
The instances are organized by six optical sizes.
And each optical size includes three weights (so 6 × 3 = 18 total).
Plus the Italic font is style-linked.
Again you see the name of the default master.
So...
18 × Text
18 × Text Italic

Segoe UI Variable is only roman, no italic.
Three optical sizes.
Five weights.
3 × 5 = 15 of the default master - Regular

@Pauls
Why are all fonts listed three times?
You mentioned above that there are two for "internal contexts."
I sorted the Log file by the Font Name (column 39), and cut out everything else.
Log.Font.Cache.sorted.by.Font.Name.txt

@demonweasel

Have you checked your Windows Fonts folder for any duplicate files?
Look for any duplicates with a number suffix (such as arial_01.ttf, etc.)

Also do you have any fonts installed in your User Fonts folder?
(not a good idea)
It can also contain duplicate font files.

4 hours ago, Pauls said:

no that's normal if it cant find one

Does that mean it doesn't check first if there is/exists a Wintab32.dll at all, before trying to load that into the app context...

wintab.png.d7092252f4815a95c948c83481884554.png

... or is it just the written out app log output which is formulated like that, somehow unfavorable as a failure then?