You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Let it be spring….

Ashcat

Could you possibly say more about how you produced this picture please.

I look at this picture and wish I could produce something that good.

Yet I do not know where to start.

So, for example, the background.

Do you do that first then draw the bird on top of it, or what?

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

2 hours ago, William Overington said:

Do you do [the background] first then draw the bird on top of it, or what?

The beauty of having layers is that you can choose the order in which you do these things! You could draw the bird first and then add the background layer, or you could start with the background and add the blue tit on top (and then, if desired, go back to the background layer and make it completely different).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Or you could have a gradient so that the upper part of the bird is a blue tit and the lower part is a great tit!

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

At first I make a sketch with a basic brush, than I paint the bird, with a lot off layers so if I’m not content I can delete just that layer or use a different color to see what is best. For details I make a new group and again a lot of layers. I use a lot of different brushes. For finetuning I use the smudge brush. The background is always the last layer I make. During the painting my background is only one color. And no, I don’t use gradient. 

IMG_0605.jpeg

IMG_0608.jpeg

13 hours ago, William Overington said:

Thank you.

How did you draw the branches that are in the upper right part of the picture please?

William

I used the mechanical pencil H4 from the Pencil brushes with a high width. If I want some parts thinner, I used the eraser also set on mechanical pencil so that the outer line of the branch is not strait.