You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Transform Origin

Hi

Can you please consider adding some sort of "memory" to the Transform Origin tool.
It seems to reset back to the middle of the object every time the object is deselected.
Be nice if it stayed where it was placed. Either by default, or perhaps an option to force the tool to remain in the same place.
Thanks.

• Staff
48 minutes ago, Darner said:

Can you please consider adding some sort of "memory" to the Transform Origin tool.
It seems to reset back to the middle of the object every time the object is deselected.

Are you able to provide a screen recording of the workflow that causes this please?

I might have misunderstood your report,  but in my testing here the custom set Transform Origin is retained on the shape when selected/deselected, and even when saving, closing & reopening the document.

Many thanks in advance :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Hi

I guess the reason you could not replicate the issue, is due to testing with only one object.
Attached a video. Probably workarounds here as well, but still thought worth mentioning.
Hope that clarifies. Let me know if anything else.
Thanks.

An interesting question as to whether it is reasonable for the software to remember the transform origin for every arbitrary selection of objects.

In your example what would happen if I decided to not to select one of the objects? Would the transform origin still be honored for the rest?

Or if I selected an additional object? Then what?

How about if the object has been the member of two arbitrary selections? And what if it already has its own transform origin, is that forgotten?

Am not trying to be argumentative, it just seems to me to be a non-trivial problem, to which I don't immediately know the answer.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

3 hours ago, Darner said:

Probably workarounds here as well

No "workarounds" necessary.
Just use the appropriate, simple and totally straightforward workflow:

Group it! ;) 

A group is an object on its own, and thus it will remember its transform origin as expected.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

Just now, loukash said:

A group is an object on its own, and thus it will remember its transform origin as expected.

Speaking of which:
A neat little trick to have multiple transform origins for a single object:

• Group the object with itself, multiple times if needed. You can have as many nested groups of the same object as you wish. Each group will retain its own transform origin.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

4 hours ago, Aammppaa said:

An interesting question as to whether it is reasonable for the software to remember the transform origin for every arbitrary selection of objects.

In your example what would happen if I decided to not to select one of the objects? Would the transform origin still be honored for the rest?

Or if I selected an additional object? Then what?

How about if the object has been the member of two arbitrary selections? And what if it already has its own transform origin, is that forgotten?

Am not trying to be argumentative, it just seems to me to be a non-trivial problem, to which I don't immediately know the answer.

Not quite sure what you mena whith "if I selected another object, or not select one of them. And how much Affinity should remember, is an approach Affinity needs to have a closer look at.
I'm just giving feedback to Affinity for big and small issues that could be enhanced based on certain workflows and challenges. Might not be so apparent for you. If you don't find this "trivial" for your workflow that's ok. Not all issues are issues for all.
I'm not the one making all the what if questions and decisions, but hopefully Affinity will have a closer look at this.

1 hour ago, loukash said:

No "workarounds" necessary.
Just use the appropriate, simple and totally straightforward workflow:

Group it! ;) 

Thank you for taking the time Loukash.
Yes familiar with grouping it. And a nice feedback / workaround as well. Appreciated.
On a simple test, this would work quite well. In other few scenarios it might come in handy to have a better "memory" on the tool without grouping. And hopefully Affinity can have a closer look at this one in general:) 

8 minutes ago, Darner said:

Not quite sure what you mena whith "if I selected another object, or not select one of them. And how much Affinity should remember, is an approach Affinity needs to have a closer look at."

Multiple object selections are volatile, temporary.
An object attribute like the transform origin must be quite obviously saved with the object to be present permanently.
But a selection of multiple objects is not a new object on its own.

22 minutes ago, Darner said:

to have a better "memory" on the tool

The transform origin of a multiple objects selection is still being saved in the History panel.
Perhaps that's where you may want to go and have a look if you need a specific origin that you've used before.

So far, I see neither any "bug" behavior nor a "workaround" here. This all is how I'd expect the transform origin to behave.
(There are/were other bugs though. Some – or hopefully all – having just been fixed in the latest 2.4.0 beta version.)

• Staff
17 hours ago, Darner said:

I guess the reason you could not replicate the issue, is due to testing with only one object.
Attached a video. Probably workarounds here as well, but still thought worth mentioning.

Thanks for confirming that for me!

I certainly understand your workflow and appreciate this request - I believe the current behaviour is expected, in that a multi-selection and it's functions are only temporarily retained whilst these objects are selected, changing or removing the selection would remove any custom properties, such as the moved Transform Origin.

In the meantime, I believe that Grouping is likely the best option here to retain these custom Transform Origins across multi-selections, however I will be sure to raise this with our development team for further consideration as there is certainly room for improvement here.

I hope this helps :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

2 hours ago, Dan C said:

Thanks for confirming that for me!

I certainly understand your workflow and appreciate this request - I believe the current behaviour is expected, in that a multi-selection and it's functions are only temporarily retained whilst these objects are selected, changing or removing the selection would remove any custom properties, such as the moved Transform Origin.

In the meantime, I believe that Grouping is likely the best option here to retain these custom Transform Origins across multi-selections, however I will be sure to raise this with our development team for further consideration as there is certainly room for improvement here.

I hope this helps :)

Thank you Dan for elaborating and for raising it to the right people.
This issue will probably make more sense when you also work with vector mandalas, even when it's symbol based repetition.