You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Brush panel (Photo) missing option "Copy to Category"

On Windows, in the Brush panel, I can right-click on a brush and have options to Move it to a different category, or to Copy it to a different category:

image.png.ac93c6780120502f023b729b3d29b0ee.png

On macOS, the Copy to Category option is missing:

image.png.79e5a508f7c1bbfd91b24ec20c22d62d.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 12/31/2023 at 3:38 PM, walt.farrell said:

On macOS, the Copy to Category option is missing:

It's there, but on macOS, it works on a toggle basis when holding the Option Key... 🙃

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2430) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2430) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2430)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

25 minutes ago, Hangman said:

It's there, but on macOS, it works on a toggle basis when holding the Option Key... 🙃

Well, that's silly. But thanks :)

And I see that when the Help is viewed from a Mac, it mentions that.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

19 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

And I see that when the Help is viewed from a Mac, it mentions that.

It does indeed... :)

Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2430) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2430) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2430)

• Staff
On 1/1/2024 at 5:54 PM, walt.farrell said:
On 1/1/2024 at 5:24 PM, Hangman said:

Well, that's silly. But thanks :)

I'm partial to agree that this seems somewhat silly, although there may be reasoning behind this I'm unaware of - so I'm going to log this with the team for further comment, or consideration to simply display the option on macOS, like Windows.

Thanks for raising this :)

20 minutes ago, Dan C said:

I'm partial to agree that this seems somewhat silly

What brought it to mind was watching a Tutorial created by a Mac user who emphasized Duplicating a brush do you could Move it to a "favorites" category while leaving the original in place. And saying to myself, why didn't he just use Copy instead of Move :)

Then I rewatched it and noticed he didn't have the Copy option that I had on Windows. And I checked macOS and didn't have it either. 

It's quite undiscoverable.

-- Walt
PC:

But, please, don't change the Windows behaviour to match the Mac, just so they are the same! (That would be even sillier!) 😁

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

I don't know if it's just more of an Apple UI thing but several Mac apps make similar use of the Option key though this particular instance does seem a bit random, e.g., 

• Affinity Apps - Option with the File Menu | Changes 'New' to 'New From Last Preset...'

• Apple Pages - Option with the File Menu | Changes 'Close' to 'Close All' and 'Duplicate' to 'Save As...'

• Apple Pages - Option with the Windows Menu | Changes 'Minimise' to 'Minimise All', 'Zoom to Zoom All', 'Tile Window to Left/Right of Screen' to 'Move Window to Left/Right of Screen' and 'Bring All to Front' to 'Arrange All to Front'

• Staff
6 minutes ago, Hangman said:

I don't know if it's just more of an Apple UI thing but several Mac apps make similar use of the Option key

I'm personally more of a Windows user, so I don't mind admitting I've only just learnt that macOS offers changing menu options depending on if the ALT/Option key is being held in multiple apps...

I can certainly understand some use cases for this functionality, but as Walt has raised above if the user is not aware such an option exists at all, I would not want to be checking every menu with ALT held down 'just in case' as that may end up more like a treasure hunt than a useful implementation!

Therefore the issue logged with our developers is to consider user discoverability of the feature, whether it is documented correctly or not, it's possible to miss this menu option (or feature!) altogether :)

It might be nice if menu options that behave differently with Alt/Option were marked somehow (*, perhaps) as a hint. That would avoid the need for playing a treasure hunt game. But I suppose that would ideally be a request to Apple to change their UI standards.

-- Walt
PC:

10 minutes ago, Dan C said:

I can certainly understand some use cases for this functionality, but as Walt has raised above if the user is not aware such an option exists at all, I would not want to be checking every menu with ALT held down 'just in case' as that may end up more like a treasure hunt than a useful implementation!

Completely agree, to my way of thinking, certainly for Affinity apps, there should be coherence between the Mac and Windows versions... Personally, I would like to see some of the additional Paste options that are available on the Windows version added to the Mac version...

Out of interest, is 'New from Last Preset...' a separate, always available option on Windows?

2 hours ago, Hangman said:

Out of interest, is 'New from Last Preset...' a separate, always available option on Windows?

Yes, it's a standard part of the File menu in the Affinity applications on Windows.

-- Walt
PC:

15 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Yes, it's a standard part of the File menu in the Affinity applications on Windows.

Thanks for clarifying... so it would initially appear perhaps, to be more of a UI 'standard' (or not)...

• 2 months later...
  • Staff

The issue "[macOS] Copy To Category missing from Brush context menu." (REF: AF-1666) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.5.0.2317".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Affinity Info Bot to notify us.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

The issue "[iOS] Copy To Category missing from Brush context menu." (REF: AF-2243) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.5.0.2335".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Affinity Info Bot to notify us.