You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Layer Effects Won’t Take Effect

I apply an inner glow or outer glow to a group of vector objects, change the color and blend mode, but when I finish and select out of the layer effects panel, the layer effect will revert back to last state. It won’t let me change the layer effect. See attached video to see it happening.

Brett Stebbins

www.brettstebbins.comX profile

For me, I get the same result as you if I press somewhere on the artboard after adding an effect, but I keep the effect if I select another tool instead.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Can you share a sample .afdesign document, containing at least that set of layers you're trying to apply the effects to?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Go to layer ‘woman/torso/flecks. Sometimes I wonder if it has to do with the file size. Everything seems to start out fine but after working in the file for some time eventually this issue shows up. I have this issue in almost any document I work in.

Tattooed Memories 01.zip

Brett Stebbins

Awesome! Glad I could help. Just to reiterate, the problem won’t occur till I have been working on the file for awhile. I suspect it has something to do with the complexity of the file and the many layers, groups, effects etc.. It usually shows up in my most complex illustrations.

Brett Stebbins

• Staff

Hi @Brett Stebbins,
From my investigation the issue is caused by touching the screen after applying an effect which has certain attributes - like Radius for example: when you touch the screen after applying the effect the Radius gets set to zero and thus the effect is not visible on screen anymore. The only "workaround" if we can call it as such is setting the Radius value again to what is was originally. I'm checking all the FX/attributes and will have this logged very soon.
This can be easily recreated in a new file it's not limited to complex documents. I'm sorry for the inconvenience this is causing you.

So that you are aware. Because I’ve had this issue for some time now. I have experimented. I will apply an inner glow, for example, and then click on the canvas. Or I will apply it but this time click on a layer in the layers palette, or I might click away onto another FX. Or I might click on another tool. I tried many different variations of getting the FX to apply itself, but in every case it would revert back. BTW, this problem would not show up at first, when I started working on a file, but at some point later it would show up and once it did, I couldn’t get whatever layer FX to work again. Also, another note, I noticed that Gaussian blur never had this issue. I have not experimented with all the layer FX to see which ones have the issue and which ones don’t since I primarily only use certain ones. This problem also shows up in Affinity Photo.

Brett Stebbins

18 minutes ago, Brett Stebbins said:

Or I might click on another tool

For me, clicking on the Move Tool works. The sliders are removed, and the effect is applied/committed.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

@MEB I am now having a similar bug happen to Filters. See attached videos showing this similar bug with Noise and Depth Of Field Blur. It seems like the more and more I work with this file the more bugs I am encountering.

Brett Stebbins

• 2 months later...

@MEB I just updated to v2.4.1 today. I was hoping this issue with layer effects would have been resolved by now but the bug still persists. I am having similar problems with filters too. This has such a huge crippling effect on my ability to use Affinity. There has been at least two or three updates to Affinity Designer since this post back in December. When will this issue be resolved on the iPad Pro? Am I the only one experiencing this?

Brett Stebbins