You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Flip Button

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

23 hours ago, TheSnooze said:

In the same vain as the grey-scale-button (which was genius!)?

What is this? (and how is it related to "flipping"?)

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

On 12/19/2023 at 10:36 PM, TheSnooze said:

How about a button for flipping horizontally and vertically for Designer and Photo? In the same vain as the grey-scale-button (which was genius!)?

Right click toolbar and select customize. You can then add all the four transform buttons as a group or just the flip button.

The greyscale button is missing in Photo but should there as well. It is indeed a brilliant and fast shortcut to quickly inspect the dynamic range (overall contrast and appearance) of a photo, illustration or document. I discovered it recently (why hidden, Serif) and love it. Also recommend the also default hidden disable FX button that is great when working with complex and FX heavy documents in Designer. 

Fröhliche Weihnachten 🎅🏻 🎄

image.png.c8fa05a51cbbd045902797262de630e7.png

I simply no longer believe that there are any professional graphic designers here. Everything follows suit. Just everything.

20 minutes ago, Bit Arts said:

The greyscale button is missing in Photo but should there as well. 

So that’s why I can’t find it in Photo! 😉

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

1 hour ago, PaulEC said:

So that’s why I can’t find it in Photo! 😉

Exactly, and it's a bit silly that it's not implemented in Photo as well, since it's implemented in Publisher and Designer. The image viewer FastPictureViewer, for example, has a keyboard shortcut to a BW preview of images, has had it for over a decade, so you can either quickly inspect and evaluate the dynamics of the image that way in an instant or quickly assess the black and white potential of the image. You press a hotkey and as long as you hold it down, you see a BW version. Nice and easy.

It's exactly the same need I would have in Photo - if I used Photo - the principle is the same whether you are in Designer, Publisher or Photo. Now, there are slow ways to do it in Photo, and maybe Serif assumes you're working in BW if you want that as output, but that would be a fallacy. As I said, it's a quick and elegant way to assess the dynamics of the image, and since the code is now in Affinity anyway... why not. You can also use the histogram as an indicator of the dynamics, cne of the tricks photographers use to assess an image in camera on a sunny day when it's hard to tell from the image preview on the display,  but actually seeing the image live in this way is just the most valuable and meaningful.

I simply no longer believe that there are any professional graphic designers here. Everything follows suit. Just everything.

Flipping your entire artwork is common practice among artists to refreshen the view on your subject/art. Traditional artists use mirrors for that for example.

Since this feature is already available in the menues of the AFF suite, why not make it a button?

WPT_Affintiy_FFN1.png.48f7b7b0661873fc699bde0689bb7a14.pngWPT_Affintiy_FFN2.png.ffbbc8194befbf9520c60f80441466db.png

16 hours ago, TheSnooze said:

Since this feature is already available in the menues of the AFF suite, why not make it a button?

Photo has “Document → Flip…” menu items but Designer and Publisher don’t (and I can’t see how flipping a Publisher document would be useful, so I’d say that this sort of thing probably wouldn’t be useful across the whole suite).

In Designer you can flip an Artboard so that’s probably a good way to do that sort of thing rather than flipping the entire document and everything in it.

------

16 hours ago, Bit Arts said:

For example, scanned images that are inverted by mistake.

The existing layer Flip functionalities in Photo are already available as Toolbar buttons (as mentioned above) and all it takes to use them is to select the (Background) layer and press the appropriate button, so they do the same thing as flipping the document, so I can’t see why we would need extra buttons just for flipping scanned images. (It’s maybe a few extra clicks here and there, and good scanning software should allow you to flip the images during the scanning process if you need to do it en masse.)

------

I’m not fundamentally against having extra functionalities and optional buttons, I just haven’t seen any argument that has persuaded me that this is something which is a useful ‘extra’.

And if you can’t persuade someone like me who doesn’t need to lift a finger, do you think you have given enough of a good argument for someone at Serif to put in a lot of work to do it?

45 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Photo has “Document → Flip…” menu items but Designer and Publisher don’t (and I can’t see how flipping a Publisher document would be useful, so I’d say that this sort of thing probably wouldn’t be useful across the whole suite).

That is true. It would make most sense in Photo since it already has that functionality. Just as a button. Not buried in the menu.

46 minutes ago, GarryP said:

In Designer you can flip an Artboard so that’s probably a good way to do that sort of thing rather than flipping the entire document and everything in it.

Yes. And again... More useful as a button rather than buried in the menu.

At least that's my suggestion.

WPT_Affintiy_FFN1.png.48f7b7b0661873fc699bde0689bb7a14.pngWPT_Affintiy_FFN2.png.ffbbc8194befbf9520c60f80441466db.png

28 minutes ago, TheSnooze said:

That is true. It would make most sense in Photo since it already has that functionality. Just as a button. Not buried in the menu.

There is a shortcut assigned to this menu item, why don't you change this to something you can easily remember, that would be even quicker than using a button

3 hours ago, TheSnooze said:

Sorry, can't locate that one.

Did you miss the first post?

From the linked Help.
image.png.165ee40bde74c9c0417fb4beade4db9f.png
image.png.91d8ac4902ce31f9938edbfb7f99ba87.png

Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

On 12/22/2023 at 6:26 PM, Pšenda said:

Did you miss the first post?

On 12/22/2023 at 7:16 AM, GarryP said:

flip an Artboard

I believe he may be looking for a specific option to flip an artboard. There is not an artboard-specific option for this; you can flip (or for that matter rotate) an artboard the same way as with any other layer.

On 12/24/2023 at 7:17 PM, fde101 said:

I believe he may be looking for a specific option to flip an artboard. There is not an artboard-specific option for this; you can flip (or for that matter rotate) an artboard the same way as with any other layer.

Thank you! Finally someone that clears things up and stops muddying the water. :D

Happy new year!

Obviously not.

You asked about flipping (vaguely) in your original post.
You were given information about how to flip layers.
You then explained that you wanted to flip the entire canvas, without using a menu item.
You were then told how to do that using a shortcut key.
You then said that you wanted to be able to flip an Artboard with a button.
You were then told how to do that, by using the information given in the original answer.
You then said that you couldn’t find the button.
You were then reminded that the answer has already been given.
You were then told, in a slightly different way, how to do it.
You then thanked that person and said that other people’s answers were ‘muddying the water’.

Would you like to explain what I don’t get?

On 12/22/2023 at 10:31 AM, GarryP said:

The existing layer Flip functionalities in Photo are already available as Toolbar buttons (as mentioned above) and all it takes to use them is to select the (Background) layer and press the appropriate button, so they do the same thing as flipping the document, so I can’t see why we would need extra buttons just for flipping scanned images. (It’s maybe a few extra clicks here and there, and good scanning software should allow you to flip the images during the scanning process if you need to do it en masse.)

------

I’m not fundamentally against having extra functionalities and optional buttons, I just haven’t seen any argument that has persuaded me that this is something which is a useful ‘extra’.

And if you can’t persuade someone like me who doesn’t need to lift a finger, do you think you have given enough of a good argument for someone at Serif to put in a lot of work to do it?

Usability is about less clicks and in this case hopefully possible without an extra button. It is all the extra clicks that requires extra memorization of how to use the software that makes it a pain to use. Mostly in Photo.

But in this case I believe I didn't understand the question fully so I'l step back a bit to a neutral position. :)

I'm afraid I still don't get the problem!

You select what you want to flip, you click one button on the toolbar. (Or you can use a keyboard shortcut, if you prefer.) – How much simpler can it get!

20 hours ago, PaulEC said:

I'm afraid I still don't get the problem!

The wording of the request is quite unclear. From the original post it can be inferred to flip the "content" of the canvas, but from the next explanation it can be inferred to flip the "view" of the canvas (as well as rotation of the view/canvas) without affecting its content. But that's just my estimate of what the OP actually needs and wants.