You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Transparency Tool and Photos Inside Shapes

Hello there, I noticed today when working in AFD 2.3.0 that when you create a shape, put a photo inside of that shape (thus using the shape as a mask for the photo) and then apply the transparency tool to the shape, it does not affect the photo inside, but only the shape itself. Is this a bug or is it expected behavior?

Screenshot 2023-12-04 at 12.44.50 PM.png

Expected.

when using a vector / curve shape as parent, the fill is irrelevant for child layers.

only the curvature matters.

if you want the fill to be relevant, you must use the image as parent and the vector shape as child in masking position.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

14 hours ago, bobbybosler said:

Hello there, I noticed today when working in AFD 2.3.0 that when you create a shape, put a photo inside of that shape (thus using the shape as a mask for the photo) and then apply the transparency tool to the shape, it does not affect the photo inside, but only the shape itself. Is this a bug or is it expected behavior?

If you're referring to the Transparency tool rather than the Gradient tool then simply select the nested image layer when applying the transparency and the transparency will be applied to the image rather than the parent shape...

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

4 hours ago, Hangman said:

If you're referring to the Transparency tool rather than the Gradient tool then simply select the nested image layer when applying the transparency and the transparency will be applied to the image rather than the parent shape...

Yes, I was speaking of the transparency tool and not the gradient tool. I'm aware I can apply transparency directly to an image layer using the tool, but doesn't it seem that expected behavior should be that the transparency tool should affect child layers and not just the direct layer to which it is applied?

1 hour ago, bobbybosler said:

Yes, I was speaking of the transparency tool and not the gradient tool. I'm aware I can apply transparency directly to an image layer using the tool, but doesn't it seem that expected behavior should be that the transparency tool should affect child layers and not just the direct layer to which it is applied?

You may expect personally a different result, but the current behavior is industry-standard not only for Affinity, but for other Apps and all file formats which contain layers in parent/child relations.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

21 hours ago, NotMyFault said:

the current behavior is industry-standard not only for Affinity

Or is it?

image.thumb.png.040f85f5472f2bb2d74d2478ffa2d054.png

• Main machine: iMac 2019 (21,5-inch 4k, 6core), 64GB RAM, 1TB nvme + 2TB ssd, running on Mac OS 13;
  • Display setup: 28" 5k Display (primary) + 21,5" iMac4k-Display for studio panels (secondary);
  • Keyboard layout: german apple extended keyboard (aluminium);

👀

Well then! Affinity, your move.

In all seriousness, this would simplify so many workflows. I work with several designers who would use this every day if it worked that way.

And perhaps it could be enabled via some sort of option on the tool to apply only to the background of a shape or curve or whether it applies to all children in a shape.

3 hours ago, bobbybosler said:

In all seriousness, this would simplify so many workflows.

If all you're looking for is an InDesign clone, then likely so, yes.
I, for one, am glad that Affinity isn't just that, and that I was able to leave "so many [Adobe] workflows" behind. :) 

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

On 12/5/2023 at 2:57 PM, bobbybosler said:

doesn't it seem that expected behavior should be that the transparency tool should affect child layers and not just the direct layer to which it is applied?

No.
See my reply here: 

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2