You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

(Photo) Same pattern in the background in 4-5 different colors

I am trying to create a book cover (for a multi-volume book on Napoleon) and now it seems I'm near the end. The final version will be something close to the one I am attaching here. I may become able to create something better in the future but for now this will have to do. Creating this, I did not know about removing the border lines of PNG image and completely forgot about using rectangle tool with fill color for the background. So I added one pixel layer upon another, manually painting the color in, removing border lines and such with inpainting brush. And if I change just a bit on any of the adjustment layers, the many corrections I made show up and the whole thing goes awry. They can be hidden from view for good, by arranging the sequence of layers (I've learned about this from tutorials), but I couldn't do it correctly. 

So the background pale blue in the blue cover is something I happened to have. I used a lot of blue and white with large paint brush. Much of the painting was over the traces from previous layers. All the adjustments in the adjustment layers are set just so that corrections do not show. 

I tried to recycle this blue background, by turning it into JPEG and applying HSL adjustment. I could have some results. But I am wondering, what are the ways to recycle a background in cases like this? In the green version I attach below, the PNG file is without border lines (so no inpainting corrections), and I used a rectangle tool with green fill color and paint brush in white color. Can this green background be recycled in any colors I want? If I want to have a background in 4-5 different colors with the same pattern (same haphazard pattern), what would the workflow be like?  

Any suggestions or pointers will be deeply appreciated. 

napoleon bonaparte (v. 1).jpg

green.JPG

There are many ways.

1. Convert pixel layer to image layer. Then you can use the color panel directly to the image layer.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

10 hours ago, NotMyFault said:

Convert pixel layer to image layer. Then you can use the color panel directly to the image layer.

Can you tell me some of the other methods? I looked up how to use image layer and it seems somewhat over my head at this stage. Maybe a "blend mode" can be useful? Some sort of combining a simple color layer with a pattern (in pale gray color?) layer? I'll go explore any suggestions or pointers.    

On 12/4/2023 at 7:30 AM, NotMyFault said:

There are many ways.

1. Convert pixel layer to image layer. Then you can use the color panel directly to the image layer.

Not sure if you intended to explain more than 1 of the many ways. For that one, though, doesn't that conversion require Publisher? I don't think Photo or Designer have Layer > Convert to Image Resource. Or did you mean something else?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

17 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Not sure if you intended to explain more than 1 of the many ways. For that one, though, doesn't that conversion require Publisher? I don't think Photo or Designer have Layer > Convert to Image Resource. Or did you mean something else?

should be available on Desktop (Mac at least)

yes, I was in a hurry and could not add more.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.