You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do I restore my old ADv1 which has been backed up on Time machine on my iMac. When I find it and try to open it a message says that I can't because it is in Time machine backup. Is there a special way to 'Restore' the app? The reason I want to restore is to see if it has some assets that I saved.

If voting made any difference it wouldn't be allowed!

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Truth does not need to be protected only lies do.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

Use the "Time Machine" menu (in your main menu bar) for accessing ("open") + restoring a certain file of your backups. Therefore it helps to first open in a Finder window that folder which contains/ed the file version you want to replace. Note, the app file and your Affinity user preferences are stored at different locations and thus require separate steps to get restored.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Thanks Thomaso I was able to restore my old AD V1 and I found all the assets I thought I had lost.

When I upgraded to AD V2 I would have expected the Assets to install as well but they didn't. Is that a separate operation to install any previous user features when installing a new upgrade?

How do I copy these Assets into AD V2?

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

14 minutes ago, jackamus said:

Is that a separate operation to install any previous user features when installing a new upgrade?

I haven't doe yet but I recall V2 would ask the user during or after installation whether V1 preferences should get transferred to V2. This can't work of course if you installed V2 without having V1 installed.

You could try to copy your V1 assets.propcol into the according folder of V2 and see if it works (and remove them if not). As far I know it is not documented yet by Serif what user preferences of V1 are fully compatible + work reliable if copied to V2.

Possibly a V2 user will pop-in and tell the correct, official workflow.

12 minutes ago, thomaso said:

You could try to copy your V1 assets.propcol into the according folder of V2 and see if it works

That would probably work, but it would also (of course) overwrite any Assets created while using V2.

I believe the Assets would have been copied from V1 when first running V2, assuming that (a) the user allowed it when first running V2 and (b) V1 was still installed (as you mentioned). There are, however, additional considerations when multiple Affinity applications are installed, as the Assets are not shared among the applications for V1 but they are for V2, and that might prevent complete migration from the non-shared to the shared format.

The official way to migrate them, if the automatic migration does not work, is to export each Asset category from the Assets panel in V1 into .afassets files (one per category) and then load them individually into V2.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

That would probably work, but it would also (of course) overwrite any Assets created while using V2.

I believe the Assets would have been copied from V1 when first running V2, assuming that (a) the user allowed it when first running V2 and (b) V1 was still installed (as you mentioned). There are, however, additional considerations when multiple Affinity applications are installed, as the Assets are not shared among the applications for V1 but they are for V2, and that might prevent complete migration from the non-shared to the shared format.

The official way to migrate them, if the automatic migration does not work, is to export each Asset category from the Assets panel in V1 into .afassets files (one per category) and then load them individually into V2.

Thanks Walt. I will have a go at your suggestion of exporting from V1 to V2 and see what happens.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

For those users that did not migrate their context (assets etc) from V1 to V2 when upgrading....

If that content still exists you can reactivate the ability to do so (migrate them) by doing a CTRL runup and selecting the option shown below

reset.png

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

I did a ctrl start-up and saw the above mentioned window.

I'm a bit cautious when I read the warning at the top of the window. In AD2 the first three boxes are ticked. If I tick the 'Reset Content Migration Prompt' and then click 'Clear' what will happen?

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

5 minutes ago, jackamus said:

In AD2 the first three boxes are ticked. If I tick the 'Reset Content Migration Prompt' and then click 'Clear' what will happen?

To reset content migration, you don't need to have those first 3 boxes ticked so just untick them

As regards what will happen to your existing content, migrated content, duplicated content etc I'll decline to comment on that until I have spoken to my Lawyer, as I have never done it in your particular situation.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

LOL - I'm filled with confidence!

Can you explain in non-technical terms what happens when I do this in order to move my Assets from AD1 to AD2?

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

3 minutes ago, jackamus said:

Can you explain in non-technical terms what happens when I do this in order to move my Assets from AD1 to AD2?

What I don't know specifically is if existing new V2 assets etc are deleted and just replaced with the V1 versions or if your V1 versions are added to your current V2 content or if there are duplicated assets etc will you get duplicated content?

Hence my reluctance to specifically suggest it for your particular circumstance.

Hi Carl, that was a nice concise explanation of the procedure. I don't have any AD2 assets so I've nothing to lose or duplicate.

So technically all that will happen is that my ADV1 assets will be migrated to ADV2. Correct?

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

Just now, jackamus said:

Correct?

Yes, but if it all goes horribly wrong, my Lawyer has advised me to deny ever being part of this conversation

LOL - there's nothing like being cautious!

I think what would be helpful at this point would a Serif staff member to confirm your advice. Let's hope one of them see this comment! I shan't actually do anything until I hear from one of them.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

1 hour ago, jackamus said:

there's nothing like being cautious!

For easier 'Undo' of such a change you can copy your custom Affinity preferences / settings folders as copies, either at a separate place or simply by renaming the two according parent "Affinity <app-name>" folders inside your user library folder. This enables you to easily recreate the folder before the change.