Jump to content
You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Save as error


Recommended Posts

Was it right that the file is opened Read-Only?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

    Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.3, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.3

Link to comment
Share on other sites

And when you used Save As, did you give it a new name (or location) or try to save to the old name & location?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

    Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.3, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.3

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also, what OS are you using, and what release of the application?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

    Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.3, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.3

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Also, what OS are you using, and what release of the application?

From the X in the corner of the screenshot of the error message, it has to be Windows, right?  Also, more of a guess but from the squared off edges of the APub logo it probably is V1.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V23.0 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Also, what OS are you using, and what release of the application?

 

10 hours ago, R C-R said:

From the X in the corner of the screenshot of the error message, it has to be Windows, right?  Also, more of a guess but from the squared off edges of the APub logo it probably is V1.

Win 11, Pub 2.2.1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Staff

Hi @GeirSol,

Where are you saving to, locally, network drive or cloud drive?

I've tried replicating the same error and I'm unable to, when I open a Read Only file, using File>Save brings up the Save As window and this saves without issue, once I've given it a new name.  So it must be something to do with your afpub file or linked resources.  Could you attach the afpub file and any linked images or upload them to our Dropbox here and I'll see if I have any luck replicating the issue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, stokerg said:

Hi @GeirSol,

Where are you saving to, locally, network drive or cloud drive?

I've tried replicating the same error and I'm unable to, when I open a Read Only file, using File>Save brings up the Save As window and this saves without issue, once I've given it a new name.  So it must be something to do with your afpub file or linked resources.  Could you attach the afpub file and any linked images or upload them to our Dropbox here and I'll see if I have any luck replicating the issue.

Local

The issue happens when saving as same name (that I need to do to get on with crashed file)

Save as different name usually is ok.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, GeirSol said:

The issue happens when saving as same name (that I need to do to get on with crashed file)

It's generally safer and recommended to regularly Save As using a new name, as that helps ensure you have good backup copies periodically.  That will also help keep the Affinity files smaller.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

    Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.3, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.3

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

It's generally safer and recommended to regularly Save As using a new name, as that helps ensure you have good backup copies periodically.  That will also help keep the Affinity files smaller.

Ok, but normal behavior is that save as same name is allowed.
And it's far more convenient in my case. But, I'll consider your arguments.

Why does this give smaller files?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Staff

Hi @GeirSol,

If you exit Publisher and check the properties of the file you had open, is it set to Read Only?  If so, then this error is kind of to be expected as you are trying to save over a read only file, which is why giving the file a new name works, as it's creating a new file.  If it isn't set to Read Only, can you please upload the afpub file so I can try to replicate this and see if it needs logging with the Developers, as there must be something in the file causing it to open as read only?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, GeirSol said:

Why does this give smaller files?

Because when you use Save As with a new name the application will remove wasted space that accumulates within the file as you make changes.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

    Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.3, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.3

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, stokerg said:

If so, then this error is kind of to be expected as you are trying to save over a read only file

I think it shouldn't cause an "error" - at least not for Windows.
The ReadOnly flag should only cause an additional query (do you really want to overwrite the file with the ReadOnly flag?), not Error.
image.png.6345be98d21582665ac9514f7167147b.png

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.3.1.2217
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.2506.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.2506.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Staff

Hi @Pšenda,

7 minutes ago, Pšenda said:

The ReadOnly flag should only cause an additional query (do you really want to overwrite the file with the ReadOnly flag?), not Error.

Not seeing that here in Affinity or NotePad, i get told the file is set to read-only and try again with a different filename. 

This is why it would be great if @GeirSolcould upload their .afpub file so I can see if I can get the same error shown in the first post of this thread, which so far i haven't been able to :( 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, stokerg said:

which so far i haven't been able to :( 

For me "🙂"

Yes, this error cannot be caused by setting the file flag to ReadOnly - the file cannot be overwritten:
image.png.83480650d013bc8262e2362b6023656e.png
(This file is read-only. Repeat the action with a different file name.)

I consider this a reasonable solution.

Edited by Pšenda

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.3.1.2217
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.2506.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.2506.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, stokerg said:

Hi @GeirSol,

If you exit Publisher and check the properties of the file you had open, is it set to Read Only?  If so, then this error is kind of to be expected as you are trying to save over a read only file, which is why giving the file a new name works, as it's creating a new file.  If it isn't set to Read Only, can you please upload the afpub file so I can try to replicate this and see if it needs logging with the Developers, as there must be something in the file causing it to open as read only?

 

This is not normal behavior. Normal is allowing save over same file, with prompt.

Sorry I can't upload this file.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Staff
2 hours ago, GeirSol said:

This is not normal behavior. Normal is allowing save over same file, with prompt.

 

I'm going to have to disagree with you on that point.  It would seem Microsoft also disagree with you as well here.

2 hours ago, GeirSol said:

Sorry I can't upload this file.

Then isn't much more help we can offer, as the issue will be related to the file you are working with.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, GeirSol said:

This is not normal behavior. Normal is allowing save over same file, with prompt.

It is not at all normal behavior for files marked Read Only! Maybe you are thinking about overwriting files that are not so restricted, where you do get a prompt asking if you really want to do that?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V23.0 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What is really "not normal" here is the message that the first post shows: Internal Error.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

    Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.3, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.3

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Staff
1 minute ago, walt.farrell said:

What is really "not normal" here is the message that the first post shows: Internal Error.

I agree and that's why I've been trying to get a copy of the file and also created @GeirSola private Dropbox link to upload the file to.  But without the file, there isn't much more I can do to look into the error :( 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, stokerg said:

I agree and that's why I've been trying to get a copy of the file and also created @GeirSola private Dropbox link to upload the file to.  But without the file, there isn't much more I can do to look into the error :( 

Sorry, the file is not in same state now. However I can upload it when it happens again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.