Jump to content
You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Snap corner of one rectangle and another corner of another rectangle in designer?


Recommended Posts

Sorry if I slide into this topic, but that doesn't work that way in my case. If I try it, the rectangle allways gets upscaled. As far as I understand, to scale it with the Point Transform Tool, I usually would have to hold the Shift key. But it does it even without the Shift key. And the cursor doesn't change to the Arrowcross-symbol if I hover over or even click on the node. Am I missing any settings to prevent the scaling? I'm on Windows 10 with Designer 2.2.1.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On iPad you need to hold the control-key.

Mac mini M1 A2348

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No, if I hold the Ctrl-key, the rectangle gets rotated if I drag the node. The entry you highlighted is "to translate" (whatever that means). For that, I have to hold the right mouse key, as the status bar says. But that only opens the context menu. As far as the status bar says, I don't have to hold anything but the left mouse key to drag the node without scaling the rectangle. But that doesn't work. Possibly a bug?

6 minutes ago, thomaso said:

See the status bar Tool tips: CTRL key -> "transform".

transformtoolctrlkey.thumb.jpg.91f61c58ca5f4696c6e060f34341e11a.jpg

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Are you using the point transform tool, or the node tool?

Can you provide a full screenshot?
 

On Windows, some of the context help is simply wrong, or not working (when using Alt-keys).

Edited by NotMyFault

Mac mini M1 A2348

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, iconoclast said:

For that, I have to hold the right mouse key, as the status bar says. But that only opens the context menu. As far as the status bar says, I don't have to hold anything but the left mouse key to drag the node without scaling the rectangle. But that doesn't work.

To me in V1 the status bar does not mention a right click (-> on mac: CTRL-Click). But it obviously does in Garry's video. So it appears to be a V1/V2 or a mac/win thing. – Are you able to get the double arrow cursor when hovering over a node with the Point Transform Tool?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1 only

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In my case it is the same in version 1. As I use the german translation for my GUI, the status bar says "Rechte Maustaste = Übersetzen" ("Right Mouse Key = Translate"). But that only appears if I hover over the node. And it opens the context menu if I click the node. If I hold Shift, the double cursor appears, if I hover over the node. And if I hold Ctrl, the rotation cursor appears. So far all seems to work as it should. But if I only drag the node without holding anything but the left mouse key, the rectangle always gets scaled, if I drag the node. There seems to be no way to prevent that.

Edit: If I don't hold anything but the left mouse key, when I drag the node, the double arrow cursor doesn't appear, even it scales the rectangle. Was that what you was asking for?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, iconoclast said:

No, if I hold the Ctrl-key, the rectangle gets rotated if I drag the node. The entry you highlighted is "to translate" (whatever that means). For that, I have to hold the right mouse key, as the status bar says. But that only opens the context menu. As far as the status bar says, I don't have to hold anything but the left mouse key to drag the node without scaling the rectangle. But that doesn't work. Possibly a bug?

Just dragging a point with no modifier will both rotate and scale the selected object(s) about the Transform Origin.

Translate means move the object(s) without scaling or rotating, like sliding across the page/canvas. On Windows, you will need to hold down the right-button while you drag the point with the left-button.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, lepr said:

Just dragging a point with no modifier will both rotate and scale the object(s) about the Transform Origin.

Translate means move the object(s) without scaling or rotating, like sliding across the page/canvas. On Windows, you will need to hold down the right-button while you drag the point with the left-button.

Ah, I see, I need to hold both mouse keys at the same time to drag without scaling. That seems to work. It's a bit tricky, because, if you press the right mouse key a split second before the left one, the context menu opens. But anyway, this seems to be the solution. Many thanx for this hint! But why "Translate"?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, iconoclast said:

In my case it is the same in version 1. As I use the german translation for my GUI, the status bar says "Rechte Maustaste = Übersetzen" ("Right Mouse Key = Translate"). But that only appears if I hover over the node. And it opens the context menu if I click the node. If I hold Shift, the double cursor appears, if I hover over the node.

Same as what? I don't see any tooltip mentioning a mouse key in V1.

When Shift triggers the double cursor for you, do you mean the double arrow like this: <–> , or this same icon but doubled + rotated (actually 4x arrow cursor as in the videos above). I get the 4x arrow cursor also with no key pressed and just hovering anywhere over a selected object.

10 minutes ago, iconoclast said:

I need to hold both mouse keys at the same time to drag without scaling. That seems to work.

Quite strange. I can't get the 4x arrow cursor with two mouse keys pressed, regardless of the pressing order. (I get either the context menu or the 2x arrow scale cursor).

The right mouse key should get triggered alternatively by the CTRL key (in macOS / isn't it the same in Windows?). That's why CTRL-click (left click only) works for me.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1 only

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Same as what? I don't see any tooltip mentioning a mouse key in V1.

When Shift triggers the double cursor for you, do you mean the double arrow like this: <–> , or this same icon but doubled + rotated (actually 4x arrow cursor as in the videos above). I get the 4x arrow cursor also with no key pressed and just hovering anywhere over a selected object.

Quite strange. I can't get the 4x arrow cursor with two mouse keys pressed, regardless of the pressing order. (I get either the context menu or the 2x arrow scale cursor).

The right mouse key should get triggered alternatively by the CTRL key (in macOS / isn't it the same in Windows?). That's why CTRL-click (left click only) works for me.

In my version 1, there are the same tooltips in the status bar as in version 2. And yes, I meant the double arrow, not the hungarian fashist symbol. The arrowcross appears if I hover over the rectangle, not the node. And if I press both mouse keys on the node. By the way, this two mouse keys thing doesn't make me verry lucky, because it's fiddly.

Ctrl + left click causes "Rotate" on Windows. Possibly it is different on Mac. I don't know.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, iconoclast said:

Ctrl + left click causes "Rotate" on Windows. Possibly it is different on Mac. I don't know.

In general, but there are exceptions, Affinity uses the following modifiers while you drag with mouse left button:

  • Mac cmd = Win ctrl
  • Mac ctrl = Win mouse right button
  • Mac opt = Win alt
  • Mac shift = Win shift
  • combinations of the above
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, iconoclast said:

In my version 1, there are the same tooltips in the status bar as in version 2. And yes, I meant the double arrow, not the hungarian fashist symbol. The arrowcross appears if I hover over the rectangle, not the node. And if I press both mouse keys on the node. By the way, this two mouse keys thing doesn't make me verry lucky, because it's fiddly.

Ctrl + left click causes "Rotate" on Windows. Possibly it is different on Mac. I don't know.

Actually I first clicked one corner to place the point in point transform mode (not sure what it's named) originally at center to the corner. Then I can just move it (drag the object, not the corner now) to snap. I don't quite understand the logic here, but it works for me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, rocthered said:

Actually I first clicked one corner to place the point in point transform mode (not sure what it's named) originally at center to the corner. Then I can just move it (drag the object, not the corner now) to snap. I don't quite understand the logic here, but it works for me.

You mean the "Transform Origin", that is initially located in the middle of the object/rectangle? Yes, that seems to work too. But it is important that "Snap to Shape key Points" is activated in the "Snapping" menu.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, iconoclast said:

You mean the "Transform Origin", that is initially located in the middle of the object/rectangle? Yes, that seems to work too. But it is important that "Snap to Shape key Points" is activated in the "Snapping" menu.

Yes exactly. My first attempt resulted in an upscale too. Then I found I can do it this way. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.