You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[Real] Vector Brush / for Paint in Vector!

Hi,

I'd like to write this suggestion for the upcoming features for Affinity Designer.
What I miss for since I started in Affinity in 2018, is the ability to Paint and use the Vector Brushes as Real vector,

Or, a tool to Paint in Vector (Like Blob Brush from Illustrator) without the need to draw a shape with the pencil / pen tool.

as an Example, I'm making many illustrations that need a flat painting style,

and if we could make Paint in Vector and also Erase like we do in Raster, it would be awesome.

image.png.ad4f4da7eb752aeec3b5e44be8519ac1.png

59 minutes ago, JhonatanS said:

ability to Paint and use the Vector Brushes as Real vector

Brushes > Pens > Solid Pen With Pressure Solid Pen With Pressure & Opacity are full vector. 
Note that opacity is 
not retained when expanding or exporting to PDF as vectors.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

1 hour ago, loukash said:

Brushes > Pens > Solid Pen With Pressure Solid Pen With Pressure & Opacity are full vector. 
Note that opacity is 
not retained when expanding or exporting to PDF as vectors.

Sorry but your answer doesn't solve the issue,

The pen tool with pressure create lines and not organic shapes.

even if you expand the strokes not a good solution for the painting purpose

I'm not "solving" anything. I'm clarifying that there is a real vector brush that you can use right now. Many users are not aware of that, and me being so bad in telepathy, I can't possibly sense if you are.
So take it or leave it.

Other than that, we're all waiting since years for Serif to add more real vector brushes. You're not the first one to notice.
https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/search/&q=real vector brush&quick=1

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

@JhonatanS

My guess is that this won't be available in Affinity Designer any time soon.

Alternatively, you could take a look at VectorStyler, which has many of the tools you want.
Vector Brushes, Pattern Brush, Vector Eraser, Knife, Trim and Joint and a few more.

As a unique Feature, it is even possible to convert a Blend of one or more Vector Objects
into a Pattern Vector Brush.

As this Tutorial here shows:
https://www.vectorstyler.com/forum/topic/2089/playing-with-blend-in-pattern-brush

I totally agree and do not understand why folk even try to praise the rather lame vector paint system that currently is in designer and Affinity's resistance to this.  I have read in the past that they are attached to the idea of non-destructive editing as part of the reason for this decision?

I have just tried a laborious workaraound....use the vector brush to make shape and convert to outlines.  Join all component outlined objects using the 'add' command to make one object.  Then, to subtract (like the illustrator eraser tool) draw over the object in a different colour, convert to outlines, then subtract.

This works.  It's a total pain but it works.  It is also DESTRUCTIVE.  But I don't want to keep all my trimmings.  It feels like the program designers wan to keep all of their hair trimmings when they go to the hairdressers!

For goodness sake, this is such a basic way to efficiently produce vector drawings, especially if you are using pressure pens, and IMO, it's an absolute must have.  This is supposed to be a professional app, but I must say, I'm very disappointed at this basic omission. Pretty please????

• 2 months later...

A true vector pattern brush is a great asset. When creating work for signage or screen printing application pure vector is the go to. Pixel based brushes are not vector. Being able to create one's own custom pattern brushes with a vector constructed "link" is a must in many repeating elements. Other platforms have it. I hope Affinity will too.VectorBrush.thumb.jpg.653db50b1d991c46eaaace0da2ba2e85.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, I support this request wholly-  true vector brushes to Affinity designer is urgently needed.

Extremely disappointed after purchasing to find out they are false(pixel) brushes, and not real/true vector.

This was 100% unclear when purchasing Affinity, and working in/with vector, also brushes, was a reason for purchase.
So kind of feels like false marketing when left unclear, and you have to dig through tutorials, the forums, and small hidden sterisks on third-party vector-brush sellers even on Affinity's Add Ons - to find this out when you notice the "expand stroke" option doesn't work in Designer. 

1 hour ago, ertru said:

This was 100% unclear when purchasing Affinity

If only there were a 30-days fully functional trial version where one could try if the product really fulfills one's need before buying, huh?

Oh!

Wait!

store.serif.com/get/universal-licence-2/trial

Wonders happen!
I must have been blind but now I can see!

:82_heart_eyes_cat:

35 minutes ago, loukash said:

If only there were a 30-days fully functional trial version where one could try if the product really fulfills one's need before buying, huh?

Oh!

Wait!

store.serif.com/get/universal-licence-2/trial

Wonders happen!
I must have been blind but now I can see!

:82_heart_eyes_cat:

I can't really see how comment this adds to this topic of request and wish discussed here for a most useful and needed feature.
That so many seems so have asked for, for years.

Most designers use the programs not ONLY for vectorwork, but for so many of us it is one of the MOST important uses (logos, illustrations etc).
Other Affinity-programs are of use.
Requesting for this in a vector-based program should not come as a surprise, it should have been addad a long time ago, and when it is missing it's an illogical cold shower.

When that 30-day is up, it's up.
(For example if you get sick immideaterly after purchasing, as happened in my case and you miss that 30-day limit.)

And still, selling with a punchline of "vector brushes" when drawing in designer is not really true, is it?
That should be there in big letters as info so clients don't need to waste time and effort and have an easier pick of which apps to choose to buy without having to guess  if a vector program has the capacity for use of vector brushes sold.

On 1/19/2024 at 2:56 PM, ertru said:

I can't really see how comment this adds to this topic of request and wish discussed here for a most useful and needed feature.
That so many seems so have asked for, for years.

I must agree, I'm receiving notification in my email and seeing some people discouraging and being ironic to the users that post what they wish to see on Affinity, it's really toxic.

The animosity of some replies here are helluva toxic. I already know the reason they haven't added a width tool, is linked to this very issue, we don't have true vector brushes. I still have hope they double down some of their decisions and give us these two features that should be a default on any vector app.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/27/2023 at 9:59 PM, Artworkzzz said:

This is supposed to be a professional app, but I must say, I'm very disappointed at this basic omission.

If Affinity has no desire to get a slice of the Adobe pie, but just wants the crumbs, then I guess it's true you can't call it professional apps. The less users Affinity has, the less good it can become. So if they aren't keen on attracting users that want to make the switch from Adobe (and can!) then I would say the bar is set too low.

+10000000000

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 Ryzen 7 5700U Rx Vega 8 graphics 

16GB RAM (15.3 usable) 

Acer KB202 27in 1080p monitor

Affinity Photo 1.10.6

Affinity photo 2 2.4.2 Affinity Designer 2 2.4.2 Affinity Publisher 2 2.4.2 on Windows 11 Pro version 23H2

Beta builds as they come out.

canon 80d| sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC MACRO OS HSM | Tamron SP AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD | Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM Autofocus APS-C Lens, Black