You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Mouse settings

Whilst I was was using AD at some point my mouse started to move very fast and not at the speed I normally set at in my Mac system preferences. What could I have been doing in AD that accidentally changed my mouse speed?

If voting made any difference it wouldn't be allowed!

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Truth does not need to be protected only lies do.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

25 minutes ago, jackamus said:

What could I have been doing in AD that accidentally changed my mouse speed?

There’s nothing in the affinity applications that I know of which could make your mouse pointer speed change.
(If you have a ‘fancy’ mouse you could have accidentally pressed a button or something.)

Check your macOS mouse settings ...

... and in case of a mouse with a changable polling rate (via mouse button adjustments) also check it's setup and possible third-party mouse driver/software settings.

Why the mouse polling rate can partly have an impact here, which BTW does not only affects gaming software like themed here ...

When it comes to gaming mice, one of the most important factors to consider is polling rate. Polling rate refers to the frequency at which the mouse reports its position to the computer. A higher polling rate means that the mouse reports its position more frequently, which can have a significant impact on gaming performance.

Polling rate is measured in hertz (Hz), with the most common options being 125Hz, 250Hz, 500Hz, and 1000Hz. A polling rate of 125Hz means that the mouse reports its position to the computer 125 times per second, while a polling rate of 1000Hz means that the mouse reports its position 1000 times per second.

Why is polling rate important for gaming mice? The answer lies in the way that games process mouse input. When you move your mouse, the game needs to know where your mouse is in order to respond to your actions. If the polling rate is too low, the game may not receive the mouse’s position quickly enough, resulting in lag or delayed response times.

Additionally, one major thing that is easily overlooked is the stability of the polling rate itself. Even if you set your gaming mouse to 1000Hz, the actual polling rate may vary while in use. It’s important to use a gaming mouse that has a stable polling rate and doesn’t drop in the middle of your game. In other words, even if the mouse is 1000Hz polling rate, it could easily perform badly in-game if it periodically drops to 500Hz or lower.

In fast-paced games like first-person shooters, even a small delay can make a big difference. A high polling rate ensures that the game receives the mouse’s position as quickly as possible, allowing for faster and more accurate movements. This can be especially important for competitive gamers, who need every possible advantage to stay ahead of the competition. You definitely don’t want to miss out on a clutch moment with a gaming mouse that can’t keep up with the pace.

It’s worth noting that a high polling rate isn’t the only factor that affects gaming performance. Other factors like mouse sensitivity, acceleration, and DPI (dots per inch) also play a role. However, polling rate is a critical factor that should not be overlooked.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Just now, thomaso said:

How about a simple Affinity relaunch or mac reboot? (… instead of fiddling directly with possible settings that you have not changed)

Thanks for the suggestion but it was easier to just reset the mouse settings on my Mac.

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

1 hour ago, thomaso said:

How do you "reset the mouse settings" ? – Is it something different than unplug or dis-/reconnect?

On a Mac you go to 'System Preferences' select the mouse settings and change them - its that simple!

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

4 hours ago, jackamus said:

On a Mac you go to 'System Preferences' select the mouse settings and change them - its that simple!

Sure, but there is no way I know of for an Affinity or any other app besides System Preferences > Mouse to change any of those settings, so there must be some other explanation for why your mouse's tracking (or scrolling?) speed suddenly changed on your Mac.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

7 hours ago, R C-R said:

Sure, but there is no way I know of for an Affinity or any other app besides System Preferences > Mouse to change any of those settings, so there must be some other explanation for why your mouse's tracking (or scrolling?) speed suddenly changed on your Mac.

That's a good point however someone suggested that if I was using a 'special' mouse it may have been something to do with my mouse and not AD. I'm using a wireless mouse that I bought from a supermarket - nothing special as far as I know it has the usual left and right buttons and a scroll wheel.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

51 minutes ago, jackamus said:

I'm using a wireless mouse that I bought from a supermarket - nothing special as far as I know it has the usual left and right buttons and a scroll wheel.

So it came with no driver software or if it did you did not install it?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

8 minutes ago, R C-R said:

So it came with no driver software or if it did you did not install it?

No driver software. It was just a plug-in USB wireless dongle.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0