You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Create/edit text style - no change issues

MikeTO

In the Create/Edit Text Styles window:

Initial Words - There is no way to reset the End Characters field to [No change] once you have set it, short of deleting the style and starting over. I checked every other field and this is the only one that can't be reset. With other text fields such as Max Word Count above it, you can delete the value and press Tab to reset it but that doesn't work with this field.

Screenshot2023-10-12at10_02_38PM.png.3389a684420d3b628e8fcff50a70a3d3.png

Colour & Decorations - the Outline control opens a popup with two identical icons. The X in a circle on the left means no outline while the one on the right means no change. Perhaps the right one could be changed to a - symbol similar to the mixed state checkbox that is used to indicate no change.

Screenshot2023-10-12at9_57_39PM.png.eea2fe74fb69d79e584daa8ac898b1c8.png

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

Hi @MikeTO,

7 hours ago, MikeTO said:

Initial Words - There is no way to reset the End Characters field to [No change] once you have set it, short of deleting the style and starting over.

I think this is because the [No change] End character is treated as a text string rather than a 'default' value in the same way it is for the 'Text' setting under Bullets and Numbering. You can simply type [No change] if that's what you want it to say but when selecting any value from the dropdown it is added after the [No Change] text string which needs to be physically deleted if you don't want it to appear...

One thing that does appear to be 'missing' however is an indicator in the Style Settings summary for the inclusion of an Em Space, En Space, Non-breaking Space, Tab, Zero Width Space, Zero Width Non Joiner and Zero Width Joiner when these are set under Initial Words.

Both Em Dash and En Dash are shown correctly as are Em Space, En Space and Tab under Bullets and Numbering, i.e., "—", "–", "<EMSP>", "<ENSP>" and "\t" in the Style Settings summary panel.

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2437)

MacBook Pro M3 Max, 36 GB Unified Memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1 Magic Mouse

3 hours ago, Hangman said:

You can simply type [No change] if that's what you want it to say

That's not what I want, I want it have no change from the parent style, and this is the only control in Create/Edit Text Style that doesn't allow reversion to No Change. Perhaps the inclusion of the preset dropdown broke the normal text field method of clearing the value which reverts to no change on loss of focus.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

I suspect the [No Change] text shouldn't actually be there in the first place, this is how it appears in 1.10.6...

InitialWords.png.6c5188279ca6e4b58c93603428a75eae.png

Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2437)

7 minutes ago, Hangman said:

I suspect the [No Change] text shouldn't actually be there in the first place, this is how it appears in 1.10.6...

But is that "no change" (implied) or "no end characters"?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

25 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

But is that "no change" (implied) or "no end characters"?

Based on how this appears in 1.10.6 I would say "no change" (implied). I think the [No Change] text incorrectly appears in v2 because when you add an End Character it is added after the [No Change] text rather than replacing the [No Change] text.

3 minutes ago, Hangman said:

I think the [No Change] text incorrectly appears in v2 because when you add an End Character it is added after the [No Change] text rather than replacing the [No Change] text.

I do not see [No Change], so either that's a macOS-related issue, or I haven't figured out how to make it appear.

My End Characters initialize to .?!: when creating a new Text Style. For the built-in Text Styles, that field is set to empty, except in Base, where it's set to .?!:

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

15 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

My End Characters initialize to .?!: when creating a new Text Style. For the built-in Text Styles, that field is set to empty, except in Base, where it's set to .?!:

This is exactly how I think it should be on macOS as well in the same way it is when inserting a cross-reference. I think the [No Change] text is a red herring and possibly a screen redraw issue, certainly on Monterey at least where there are a few screen redraw issues...

I likewise see .?!: when creating a new Text Style but [No Change] when editing, but I don't believe the [No Change] text should remain when setting the end character...

I think the text [No Change] is a mistake, a bug on the Mac.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Also reported here earlier (not processed by Serif yet): 

-- Walt
PC: