You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Question about Sections in Publisher - Why Was a Section Added and How to Delete It

Today I added some pages to my Publisher document. I did this by choosing 'add pages' and then indicating after which page I wanted the new pages to start. As a result of doing this, Publisher created a new section in the document which I did not want. I can't find any way to delete that section or to make those new pages part of the first section. I've looked at tutorials and searched on the web, to no avail.

So, is there is way to add pages without creating a new section? And how do you delete an unwanted section?

Thanks

Affinity Photo, V 2.3.1    Affinity Designer, V 2.2 Affinity Publisher, V 2.3.1

Mac Book Air, Sonoma, 14.2.1

Thank you, Tomaso. I was able to delete the section from the section manager. The Remove section was not apparent until I saw your post.

Lee D, I could not find what you referred to. There was no Add Pages option from File. You could add pages from Document, but there was no option for Ignoring initial section. Could this function be somewhere else in the program?

• Staff

@DianeF It may just be down to a small confusion on the workflow.

If you right click on a page and then use Add Pages from File or Document > Add Pages from File (existing document). You then get the options I referred to, see screenshot

Screenshot 2023-10-03 at 12.54.50.png

Thanks, Lee. I tried what you suggested and did not get a screen similar to the screen you posted. Instead I got what is shown in my attached screenshot.

Screen Shot 2023-10-03 at 8.12.54 AM.png

When I used Menu Document Add Pages from File, I just got a list of files on my computer that use Publisher, not the screen that Lee showed.

Screen Shot 2023-10-03 at 8.26.36 AM.png

10 hours ago, DianeF said:

I did this by choosing 'add pages'

@Lee D, just to add pages the two available options [via menu "Add Pages…" or the pages panel icon] appear sufficient and more useful than the "Add Pages From File …" command. But this doesn't answer the question yet, why the OP did get a new section with "Add Pages…" …

@DianeF, can you reproduce the issue of an unwanted added section when adding pages? If yes, can you upload a video demonstrating your workflow?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

7 minutes ago, DianeF said:

When I used Menu Document Add Pages from File, I just got a list of files on my computer that use Publisher, not the screen that Lee showed.

You don’t get the window that Lee showed until you have selected the file to open.

Tomaso, I tried adding some new pages just now (just using the Add Pages command, not the Add Pages from File command). This time I did not get a new section, so I have no idea why that happened when I added new pages yesterday. Thanks to your help, I was able to delete the unwanted section.

Gary P, I could see the window that Lee showed after I chose a file, as you suggested. But, as Tomaso said, I only wanted to add new pages to my document, not add pages from an existing file, so the Add Pages command makes more sense. If, in the future, the program adds a new section when I add pages, I now know how to delete it.

Thanks for all the help.

25 minutes ago, DianeF said:

If, in the future, the program adds a new section when I add pages, I now know how to delete it.

If, in the future, the program adds a new section when you add pages, please consider saving the history with the document and sending it to the support staff

If there's a bug or pattern to what happened they will want to look into it 

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

4 minutes ago, carl123 said:

If, in the future, the program adds a new section when you add pages, please consider saving the history with the document and sending it to the support staff

@DianeF, you also can use Carl's hint and the History panel to record* a video after the issue happened. (*go back in the history step by step)

It appears interesting why that happened to you. I also wonder if the additional section possible got added in an earlier step, independent from adding pages, while you might have just noticed it after adding pages. – How did you get aware of the added section? Did it even restart page numbering for instance?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

I think the additional section got added when I added pages. I noticed it when I saw that the page numbers had a restarted to 1 on the next page that I had added.

If it happens again, I will use the History panel to record the steps though I don't know how to record a video sing that panel. But I can list all the steps.