You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Losing cursor visibility in Publisher 2.2

Gafrad

Hi @jmwellborn, out of interest, how did you navigate to pages 16 and 17?

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2430) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2430) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2430)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

• Staff
7 hours ago, Hangman said:

@jmwellbornIt would be interesting to know the answer, as up to now the only trigger I've found for it is using the vertical/horizontal scrollbars.  As you've got an afpub file that the issue happens in, would you mind uploading it to our Dropbox here and i can try replicating it with your file and your method of moving between pages :) 

• Staff

Just a quick update, I've now found another way to replicate this, press the Tab key to hide the UI and again to bring the UI back, now select something and you won't have any bounding boxes or if you've clicked in a text frame, you won't see the text caret until you zoom in and out or pan around the page.

On 9/28/2023 at 9:12 AM, stokerg said:

@jmwellbornIt would be interesting to know the answer, as up to now the only trigger I've found for it is using the vertical/horizontal scrollbars.  As you've got an afpub file that the issue happens in, would you mind uploading it to our Dropbox here and i can try replicating it with your file and your method of moving between pages :) !

The file has been uploaded to dropbox.   I opened a duplicate of that file just now, to see what I probably did. There were so many corrections to be made on each page (usually including changing selected text from red to black) and adding small margin text frames, that by the time I gave up in despair and posted the video I couldn't remember how it all started.  So I checked.  Initially I used the Pages Panel to click on the spread I wished to edit, then used the hand tool to move the pages on the screen.  But as I needed to work my way through the various phrases on a page, I would have used the vertical scroll bars.  So I haven't found something new.  The only thing I have found (probably everybody else has too) is that it is a constantly repeating problem.  It doesn't matter how often one uses the CMD + 1 or CMD +2 manoeuvre to reengage the Text Frame Tool, or the Move Tool, the minute one uses the scroll bar the problem reappears.  It took me over an hour to make the changes I needed to make on a 20 page document!  

On 9/28/2023 at 3:18 AM, Hangman said:

Answer in my post above.  Should add that once the scroll bar starts the issue, clicking on the Pages Panel to change the spread makes no difference. 

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

@loukash Tried your workaround. Wonderful! The mouse wheel with a Preference>Tools>mouse wheel to zoom selected, also works easily to temporarily solve the issue while still using the scroll bars. After scrolling, just click inside the text frame, and roll the mouse zoom button back and forth. The Text Frame Tool and the Move Tool are active again. Less elegant but also effective is switching constantly between the (H) tool as an alternative to the scroll bars, and the (T) tool.  

Until this glitch is fixed, I am definitely feeding my mouse extra Wheaties. 

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.

@jmwellborn Or you can leave your mouse wheel set to scroll. A jiggle of the wheel will still resolve the issue and you can then use the mouse instead of the vertical scroll bar (which helps avoid the bug occurring at all). It doesn't solve the problem of the horizontal scroll bar as trigger: I've been trying to use the grabber hand for sideways movement instead.

• Staff

Just a quick update for this thread.  I've today found another way to trigger this bug in Affinity without using the Scroll bars.  Place a shape on the page and from the Context toolbar select Fill>Gradient and now move the line between the gradient points and your bounding box will disappear and won't come back unless you zoom in and out.  

I've added this information to the report :) 

I guess it's effectively the same thing but it also happens when adjusting the line between Opacity values when using the Transparency tool.

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2430) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2430) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2430)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

My thanks to stokerg for continuing to work away on this. Now that I know some of the triggers and a fix, the issue has become far less of a problem and just a nuisance. However, it really should get fixed. Will the developers put a message in this thread when it is done  and provide an update?

there should be a @Serif Info Bot when it is fixed.

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 Ryzen 7 5700U Rx Vega 8 graphics 

16GB RAM (15.3 usable) 

Acer KB202 27in 1080p monitor

Affinity Photo 1.10.6

Affinity photo 2 2.4.2 Affinity Designer 2 2.4.2 Affinity Publisher 2 2.4.2 on Windows 11 Pro version 23H2

Beta builds as they come out.

canon 80d| sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC MACRO OS HSM | Tamron SP AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD | Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM Autofocus APS-C Lens, Black

• 3 weeks later...

The issue is still present in the new Publisher Beta 2.3.1.  I hesitate to mention it in that part of the Forums.

I can reproduce this bug when I edit a gradient.
After changing the gradient, the handlers for selected objects disappear.

After double clicking on the master pages and back again, the display is back to normal.

So my confidence in the Affinity V2 products is fading more and more. 😒
Even after X updates there are still such serious bugs.
You can't work productively like that!

Now I just continue to work in the V1 apps, which do work very well...

(Publisher V 2.2.1 - macOS Big Sur 11.7.10)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

The issue "[MacOS] Redraw issue. Bounding box does not display for new selection after using scroll bar until you force Redraw" (REF: AF-295) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.3.0.2139".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.