You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

PDF Import Problem

4 minutes ago, Return said:

What walt meant is this:

Or, even easier:

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.5, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.5

Thanks, Return.

So, there's no auto-flow of an imported, multi-page doc; you have to click to get each page? The Autoflow youtube vid. that Walt sent in response to my first post shows a 20(?) image sequence flowing into a document automatically. Of course, I couldn't get that to work either . . .

Thanks,

l'gothic

• Staff
On 10/13/2023 at 9:54 PM, lettergothic said:

So, there's no auto-flow of an imported, multi-page doc; you have to click to get each page? The Autoflow youtube vid. that Walt sent in response to my first post shows a 20(?) image sequence flowing into a document automatically. Of course, I couldn't get that to work either . . .

As you've mentioned, both the tutorial provided and example screen recordings (such as the one from myself) in this thread show this feature is present and works correctly when following the described workflow. Therefore I'm not certain why this would lead you to such a conclusion.

On 10/13/2023 at 10:56 PM, lettergothic said:

"Auto flow is only maintained when using an afpub file where you already had autoflow applied."

This is not true, and again directly contradicts the screen recordings provided in this thread.

On 10/13/2023 at 8:54 PM, lettergothic said:

Unfortunately, selecting the "Place Image" tool, holding "Shift", selecting the file and clicking "Open" results in exactly the same outcome as shown in my screen recording: the "Place Panel" shows two pages (selected) with page 1 in the page 2 position and no page 2 content —ditto the APub doc.

Your workflow is still not correct, as the Place Studio does not appear in any of your recordings

On 10/13/2023 at 9:40 PM, lettergothic said:

Since I always had page selected, I had never seen the "Place Panel"!  I made sure everything was deselected. Using the "place" tool, I shift-selected the file, clicked "open" and got the "place" panel!  In the panel, the dropdown showed Page 1 and clicking the arrow shows pg. 2. I can't shift-select both son I chose p.1, hovered the "place cursor" over pg.1 on the 2 pg. doc. and clicked. Pg.1 of the file appeared in pg. 1 of the doc. and pg. 2 was blank—no flowing of pg.2 into my doc.

You are not holding down shift when navigating to File > Place. You are instead 'shift-selecting' your Pages in the Pages Studio, before using File > Place. This is not needed, as you do not need any active selection of Pages or Layers, which Walt covered previously - 

On 10/13/2023 at 9:27 PM, walt.farrell said:

In your most recent screen recording, you selected two pages in the Pages panel. That makes no sense for this operation You need to select the 2 pages in the Place panel when you get it.

Part of your problem may be that you have a Picture Frame selected when you do the Place operation. Make sure you do not have anything selected (click in the pasteboard, outside a page, with the Move Tool selected).

Please make sure you have deselected the Pages in the Pages Studio, and your Layers in the Layers Studio as requested.

Now, make sure you are holding down the shift key and continue to keep this pressed. Navigate to File > Place, with the Shift key still held.

You'll now see a Windows Explorer dialog open, prompting you to select the file to place. At this point you can let go of the Shift key and select the PDF to be placed.

If you follow this workflow correctly, you'll see the PDF appear in the Place Studio.

On 10/13/2023 at 9:45 PM, lettergothic said:

"You did not expand the top bar, above the page that is displayed, in the Place panel."

This is the first I've heard of this! Others have just said to click the dropdown triangle. How do I "expand" the top bar?!

The 'top bar' can then be found in the Place Studio and can be expanded by selecting the triangle icon - 

image.png

This is the workflow shown in my recording, and described in the post from Seneca in this thread previously:

On 10/12/2023 at 11:39 PM, Seneca said:

1. Select the file

2. Hold down the Shift key before clicking File > Place.

3. A Place Panel will open.

4. Click on the name of the file where you see an arrow like this > to reveal the rest of the pages (in the Place Panel).

5. Select all the pages and click on the main page to start the automatic placement of all pages.

Please make sure you are following all steps, as have been reiterated a few times within this thread and the feature will function correctly.

9 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Now, make sure you are holding down the shift key and continue to keep this pressed. Navigate to File > Place, with the Shift key still held.

You'll now see a Windows Explorer dialog open, prompting you to select the file to place. At this point you can let go of the Shift key and select the PDF to be placed.

For what it's worth, I do not need to hold down Shift during this part of the processing.

I simply make sure no layers are selected, click the Place Tool or click File > Place, and choose a multi-page PDF file from the File Explorer dialog. It opens into the Place panel, I click the top dropdown field to show all the pages in the Place panel, and Shift+Click on the last page so all are selected, and click where the first page should be Placed. The rest are auto-placed/flowed automatically.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.5, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.5

Dan, Walt, Seneca et al,

Thanks for your patience.

I FINALLY GOT IT TO WORK!!!   OMG!

The problem appears to have been my not understanding that it is necessary to hold down "shift" while clicking the "place" tool. Thank you for clarifying that. I've tried it multiple times now and both pages flow in as desired! Such a tiny thing turned out to be the linchpin of the entire operation.

Thanks again to everyone.

Until next time...

lettergothic