You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Create Symbol Shortcut [1971]

In the bug fix list, it mentions

Changes/Bugs affecting all platforms

• Create Symbol - set default shortcut of cmd/ctrl + Shift + K

After updating, this isn't set by default, I've simply added the shortcut manually for now as I don't want to reset my custom shortcuts... Should this new shortcut not appear automatically?

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2463) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2463) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2463)

MacBook Pro M3 Max, 36 GB Unified Memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, Magic Mouse

Hi @debraspicher,

Thanks for confirming...

Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2463) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2463) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2463)

• Staff

I think this might be because you have previously customised your shortcuts. Seeing as I reset the app daily, I don't bother and when I installed 1971, the shortcut worked.

When you upgrade to 2.2 retail, this should work, even with your customised shortcuts. 

I'm just waiting to hear back that what I've said is true. We will do some testing around this.

14 minutes ago, Chris B said:

I think this might be because you have previously customised your shortcuts.

Hi @Chris B,

I guess the question here is, should the addition of a new app shortcut be impacted by having set other shortcuts, which one assumes would be the norm for most users or does this basically mean any time a new app shortcut is added users effectively have to reset any custom shortcuts and either reset or re-import previous shortcuts just to get the newly added shortcut to function?

For me, there was simply no shortcut set for Create Symbol so it was easier for me to just add it, so not a big deal...

19 minutes ago, Chris B said:

When you upgrade to 2.2 retail, this should work, even with your customised shortcuts.

Will this be picking up the shortcut I've just added or will 2.2 retail reset all shortcuts requiring an import of any current custom settings?

21 minutes ago, Chris B said:

I'm just waiting to hear back that what I've said is true. We will do some testing around this.

Thanks Chris, much appreciated... :)

• Staff

We've ran an update from 2.1.1 AS to 2.2 AS and modified some keys (for some customisation)

On starting 2.2 all modified keys were there, along with Cmd/Ctrl+Shift+K for Create Symbol. 

So 2.2 will not reset the shortcuts you've made in 2.1 and it should include the new ones.

Hi @Chris B,

That's perfect and really good to know, many thanks for testing... :)