You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Linked symbols are copied between documents... sort of

I'm not sure if this is a bug or if there's something I'm missing here. If I create a symbol and copy it, both symbols are linked so I can make changes to them. The symbol also shows up in the symbols panel. If I then copy both of the symbols to a new document, they remain linked to eachother but they don't show up in the symbols panel for the new document. Is there any menu that describes or allows you to control the linkage between these two objects?

• Staff

Hi @dantaylr,

Thanks for your post!

I can confirm this is also working as expected for me here in Designer 2.1.1 on Windows 10 - after copy and pasting the Symbol(s) to the new doc, they appear as Symbols in the Layers Studio, and within the Symbols Studio.

Can you please verify for me:

• Are you using Windows, macOS or iPad with Affinity?
  • What is the layer type for the object that you are creating a Symbol from?
  • How exactly are you copy and pasting between the documents?
  • Do you have a third party clipboard manager app (or similar) in use?

Many thanks in advance :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

There may still be an issue with iPads, if that's what the OP is using

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Hi.  I often copy Symbols from one document to another, so I will try to observe what happens on both iPad and MBP.  Both are running the latest version of AD2.  Should have something informative to say in a couple of hours.

This behaviour is very frustrating because it leads to uncertainty when something goes wrong.  I’ve been left wondering if a Symbol got broken (always mysteriously, of course), detached (something I never do), or something else.

Regards

• Staff

As above I can confirm this is still logged as a bug with our developers for iPadOS, however thus far in my testing I have found this is working as expected on Windows/macOS.

Please do let me know if you are able to find any repeatable triggers to stop these from being added to the Symbols Studio on desktop and I will be happy to investigate further :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

Thanks for confirming, I've 'bumped' this issue with our dev team now :)

Please note -

Many thanks!