You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi there:

I am trying to stitch a panorama together with up to 10 images.  I took the photos using the raw/jpeg setting on my Canon EOS1100D.  I created them using manual settings, vertical camera plane, and made sure to have good overlap for each image.

The problem that I am running into is that AP is splitting the image into two separate images after stitching the first four images, and then stitching the other six.  I am not sure why it is doing this and I have tried both raw and jpeg versions of the images to no avail.

I am using AP 1.10.6 on a MacBook Pro running MacOS 10.15.7 with 16Gigs of RAM.

I would appreciate your help.

Thanks.

-Michael

Edited by mwmentor

Hi @mwmentor and welcome to the forums,

Without seeing the image it's going to be difficult to diagnose. Are you happy to upload the ten images, either the RAW or JEPG versions so we can take a look? Perhaps zip them up first and we can then see if we can determine what might be causing the problem.

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

Have you tried creating the two panoramas, then trying to stitch the two resulting images? 

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

Hi:

Thanks for getting back to me.

@Hangman I will upload low-res versions of my pano a bit later today.  Maybe there is something in the fourth one that is causing an issue - I did look and wasn't able to detect anything, but I have not spent much time with AP just yet, so I am not sure 🤔

@PaulEC I have thought about creating two separate panos and then stitching them - I wasn't sure if it will work - I will check and see, and let you know... 🤔

Regards.

-Michael

Hi there:

When I tested it as @winfried_z suggested, I found that AP has decided that there is no panorama between some of the slides.  I am not sure why.  I will try to photograph the series again and see what happens and if that doesn't work, maybe I can cobble them together manually... It is a bit strange and I have no other software against which I could benchmark it... 

I will post an update when I have one, possibly tomorrow.

Thanks.

-Michael

17 hours ago, mwmentor said:

I created them using manual settings, vertical camera plane, and made sure to have good overlap for each image.

I like to have about 30 to 50% overlap for panoramas. One big problem is areas that are mostly just sky in the overlap area, sometimes there just isn't any obvious area which the software can say with certainty these two areas are the same. Meaning the software doesn't know if the overlap is 60% or 10%.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Hi there:

I have taken a close look at slides 4 and 5, and I think that the problem is that I did not overlap them enough in order for the software to figure out that there was an overlap - not sure why I did that - all the others were just fine - it probably happened due to a lack of landmark against which to measure progress... I have attached a low-res copy of the two images that won't join.

I shall have to try again...

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it... 👍🙂

-Michael

P.S.: there is something else that I am thinking about... waves... they move and that's a problem, but I will open a new thread about this if it hasn't been chatted about before or there is no other help available - like YouTube... 🙂 

Screenshot 2023-07-10 at 18.01.54.png

Edited by mwmentor
Updated message to include P.S.

2 hours ago, mwmentor said:

I think that the problem is that I did not overlap them enough in order for the software to figure out that there was an overlap

I agree. Looking at that distinctive cloud formation, I’d say there’s probably an overlap of only 10% or so. While you might not need as much as 30%, anything less than 20% or 25% is unlikely to work for images with so much sea and sky. The shift in the horizon is also likely to work against you.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Michael:

It appears to be a combination of the small overlap, the waves, and the rocks where the overlap is difficult to find.

I think with a lot of handcrafting one could obtain a result (see below), but this is far from being optimal, and if it's possible to do the series again, this is certainly preferable.

Winfried

image.png.d03271f09b5e74598037279ce229c5f2.png