You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Why is my program antialiasing selections when it shouldnt be?

1 minute ago, NotMyFault said:

of course. The file was created from scratch, so everything you deleted was simply created during reproducing the issue and making the screen recording.

And I can reproduce the issue on iPad, too.

All I can tell you is using the simplified file on my Mac I cannot duplicate the issue. I'm not sure what you mean about the relevance of the stuff I deleted to the issue or if you are saying you can reproduce the issue using my file instead of yours.

Can you clarify a bit?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V23.0 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I can reproduce the issue starting with your file.

Mac mini M1 A2348

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

1 minute ago, NotMyFault said:

I can reproduce the issue starting with your file.

Weird that I cannot.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V23.0 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

3 minutes ago, R C-R said:

All I can tell you is using the simplified file on my Mac I cannot duplicate the issue. I'm not sure what you mean about the relevance of the stuff I deleted to the issue or if you are saying you can reproduce the issue using my file instead of yours.

Can you clarify a bit?

I don't know where you want to lead us. It doesn't prove anything that you are not able to reproduce the issue, if others can.

Can you show a screen recording of the exact steps you are doing? maybe you are not doing the exact same steps that I did.

Mac mini M1 A2348

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

This is great and everything but is there a way I can get a selection box that's the right size without having that issue with using the Transform panel to resize it please? I sorta need a way to use this as if it was working like a basic selection box, at least so I can do this. If that's possible.

All I am doing is using the rectangular marquee tool to make a pixel selection, switching to the Move tool to move it to some other integer pixel location.

Affinity Photo 

7 minutes ago, Zlobenia said:

This is great and everything but is there a way I can get a selection box that's the right size without having that issue with using the Transform panel to resize it please? I sorta need a way to use this as if it was working like a basic selection box, at least so I can do this. If that's possible.

I prefer using rectangular shapes. you can convert them any time to masks or pixel selections (in Photo at least) when you covered the "perfect" area.

In Designer:

1. create rectangular shape, transform it to desired size and position. Color: pure white
  2. rasterise to mask
  3. copy source layer
  4. nest mask to it
  5. rasterise & trim

In Photo it is much easier:

1. create rectangular shape, transform it to desired size and position. Color: pure white
  2. selection from layer (cmd-shift-O)
  3. select pixel layer / hide helper layer

Mac mini M1 A2348

15 minutes ago, Return said:

probably same issue. I didn't follow that thread. Thanks for pointing into that those older reports.

Mac mini M1 A2348

3 hours ago, NotMyFault said:

In Designer:

2. rasterise to mask
  3. (...)

In Photo it is much easier: (…)

Actually, in all 3 apps, you don't need to rasterize the vector shape object but can use it as vector mask, nested in the pixel layer. This way you can adjust its size and position vector based … until you rasterize the cropped pixel layer.

vectormaskeditable.thumb.jpg.85945447fe54d2c67b4c6d05ee44fb95.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1 only

• Staff

Hi @Zlobenia,

Thanks for reporting this.

We are already aware of the main issue raised in this thread and as a result, we have a bug logged with the Developers as well as an improvement to improve modifying pixel selections once they've been created.  I've left a link on those reports back to this thread so we can update you when these have been resolved/implemented. 

@NotMyFaultI'll get the rendering issue logged with the Developers, as I can't see that already logged.

13 hours ago, R C-R said:

All I am doing is using the rectangular marquee tool to make a pixel selection, switching to the Move tool to move it to some other integer pixel location.

Don’t switch to move tool, you must stay in rectangular marquee tool.

It’s another UI overload that transform panel can be used for different tools, with different functionality

• move tool (transform active layer or layers, and if a selection is active affects selection, too. Only way to rotate / shear selection)
  • shape tools  (Same like move tool)
  • selection tools (impacts selection only, instead of selected layers)

Mac mini M1 A2348

51 minutes ago, NotMyFault said:
14 hours ago, R C-R said:

Don’t switch to move tool, you must stay in rectangular marquee tool.

… above all don't forget to alter the selection size in the Transform panel. Here another workflow to reproduce the issue:

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1 only