You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Export artifacts - grey bands

Not seeing any "bands" on the right right-hand side

A screenshot of the "bands" might have confirmed the issue, but try...

Edit > Preferences > Performance

and switch off "Hardware Acceleration"

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

I can reproduce the issue on iPad.

it starts when opening the file, for a split second a gray rectangle is shown.

the when using export preview you get a rectangle in the upper right area.

The file is probably damaged in one of the layers, could not find one yet.

IMG_0503.png

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

The „Pixel“ layer (selected in layer stack in screenshot) is the one causing the issues (having a nested mask layer). Get lots of rendering issues when zooming.

it seems multiple layers are redundant, containing the same content.

Assuming an isolated corrupted file here. We had similar rare cases in the past. As Windows / Intel normally doesn’t support ECC on consumer devices, memory corruption can happen unnoticed.

IMG_0505.png

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

More details: the mask has opacity reduced to 60%. 

• this may cause the issues (Affinity to check)
  • i generally strongly advice against fiddling with layer parameters of mask layers (blend mode, opacity, etc). Most do not work, and mask layer opacity is simply passed to the parent layer which can be very confusing to understand and analyze (e.g. multiple hierarchy levels, multiple mask layers).
  • iPad has a bug not showing opacity correctly for nested layer. You need to unnest the mask layer to see the actual value.

I have reduced the file to the essence and recorded how the issue starts when zooming. 

The mask layer with 60% opacity gets falsely propagated to parent layers and leads to erratic 60% opacity (153/255 = 0.6), evidence is info panel and channels panel.

Tested on Mac mini M1 (2020) with latest OS.

Issue happens with passthrough or normal blend mode on groups.

video mildly nsfw

Spoiler

video

end video

Edited by NotMyFault
Needed to delete attachments for capacity reasons. Available on request.

I can reproduce the same bug with a new file from scratch, with a similar layer structure.

trigger condition: continuously zoom in and out. First the rectangles vanish, but after some time they stay, even when exported, merge visible, etc.

Affects MacOS and iPadOS, Photo Only.

Designer does not show the bug when using identical files.

Screenshot 2023-06-07 at 18.08.55.png

MacOS V210 mask 60 pc bug.afphoto

• Staff

Hi All,

I have logged this as a bug to be investigated further by our dev team. I'll update this thread once I have more info :)

Thanks
Callum

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

• 5 months later...

Well, there is an easy workaround: don’t reduce opacity of mask layers.

instead, you have multiple other methods to get the same effect:

• reduce opacity of enclosing group or layer
  • add levels adjustment, reduce white output on alpha channel
  • Use blend range, reduce both nodes to desired level (flat line).