You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Easy Method to Make Seamless Patterns: No Math, Any Canvas Size

Hi all,

I just posted a video on my channel about a method for making seamless patterns in Affinity Designer (desktop). I have found this to be one of the easiest techniques:

Pros

• Works on any canvas size
  • No math or calculation
  • Easy to modify as you experiment with the composition

Cons

• No live preview method. You need to manually test the graphic as a fill pattern

Let me know what you think!

• 5 months later...

Great tutorial…easy to follow…BUT, just not working for me. 
Using iPad Pro Designer V2 even. And while for the most part works…after several attempts with different objects, this is the result.

This is just simple Heart and Moon shape. Placing 1st outside, then other inside and aligned as directed. Doesn’t matter if reversing order even. Of course, not working with this, haven’t even bothered with corners, as later showed in video. 

IMG_3622.jpeg

IMG_3621.jpeg

11 hours ago, StudioJason said:

Great tutorial…easy to follow…BUT, just not working for me. 
Using iPad Pro Designer V2 even. And while for the most part works…after several attempts with different objects, this is the result.

This is just simple Heart and Moon shape. Placing 1st outside, then other inside and aligned as directed. Doesn’t matter if reversing order even. Of course, not working with this, haven’t even bothered with corners, as later showed in video. 

Hi @StudioJason

Looks like you probably have the Gradient Tool's "Extend" option set to "Repeat" instead of "Wrap". I'm not sure how to set this on the iPad, but on the desktop version I've highlighted it below. On desktop, I can just select my object with the Gradient tool and change it to Wrap. Hope this helps!

- Trent

image.png.90ad4c5445ed4843cacdedf5b5bd2b09.png

52 minutes ago, TrentL said:

I'm not sure how to set this on the iPad,

If it's possible on the iPad it's well-hidden in the UI, and it's not mentioned in the Help at all (unlike on the desktop, where it is easily found in the UI and documented in the Help).

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 6/5/2023 at 4:08 PM, TrentL said:

Let me know what you think!

Nice and simple.

but it works only with bitmap patterns.

• you can make a preview live by using symbols in Designer, and 2 artboards: one for the pattern definition, one to use it
  • This will allow to use vector content, too
  • you have snapping active with „move by whole pixels“. This is suboptimal as you can introduce fractional positions and cause blurriness and seams.
  • you state that there is no seam caused. At least I see a kind of seam, it is only barely noticeable as you reduce the size of the fill pattern, this will make it unnoticeable. In case you use the fill pattern in original size, you will see a seam.
  • using canvas in inches (or anything else except pixels as units) will always introduce a seam line at the lower and right edge.

I mention the seams topics here because we have so many heated discussion in the forum where users complain about seams, thin lines, dark lines, bright lines at edges, and your tutorial in the current form will cause such issues (again, in the chosen example it becomes covered only because you reduce the fill size by factor 10 or more).

I appreciate your videos, so don’t take my comments as offensive.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

14 hours ago, TrentL said:

Hi @StudioJason

Looks like you probably have the Gradient Tool's "Extend" option set to "Repeat" instead of "Wrap". I'm not sure how to set this on the iPad, but on the desktop version I've highlighted it below. On desktop, I can just select my object with the Gradient tool and change it to Wrap. Hope this helps!

- Trent

image.png.90ad4c5445ed4843cacdedf5b5bd2b09.png

Understand. That is a yet another option or capability NOT on the iPad version it seems.

IMG_3625.jpeg

It does give prompts for utilizing the Command Controller, so you can utilize certain commands with the Gradient handles, axis, etc., but that is an important capability lost. Not a damper on your tutorials, more on Devs not including.

IMG_3625.jpeg

Love the tutorials, very nicely done. Wish it were possible in iPad Designer, but guess I’ll have to continue with iPad Photo or the Designer usual Square with +/- X, Y values version for patterns.

Keep up the good work.

please comment to my thread for those findings:

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.