You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Imported Affinity Designer brushes unusable in Affinity Designer

I'm using Affinity Designer 2.1 on Mac.

I found a thread in the forums linking to a brush collection:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gkm6n0lopdon4yk/AAB6MiiGaSzrSDG6k7ug0bnda/Pixel Brushes?dl=0&subfolder_nav_tracking=1
Apparently these brushes are from a previous version of Designer.

I've imported them into designer.
In the pixel persona in Designer I've opened the brush tool. 
I gesture across my canvas and nothing happens.

When I re-open the brush panel I can see that the brush that I've selected has a red outline and a red dot next to it.
This seems to be flagging *something*, but I can't figure out what.

How do I use these imported brushes?
And what is the red outline in the selected brush within the brush panel telling me?

-- update --

It seems like I cannot use any brushes at all.

I've checked the opacity for both the tool and the layer: they are both at 100%.
Some of the brushes in the panel do *not* have the red outline after I start trying to use them, but they leave no visible traces on the image anyway.

They should work and do on Mac in Affinity Designer v2.1 

The red dot...

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

A screenshot of the complete application workspace, and the Layers panel showing the layer you're working on, might be helpful.

One possibility: Do you have Protect Alpha enabled in the Context Toolbar. If so, try disabling it.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

In your screenshot you have the Erase Brush Tool selected; is that the tool you want to use?

22 minutes ago, Sunil Wu said:

I assume that the toolbar item 'Lock' refers to a "lock alpha" function?

From the Help: Lock—when checked, prevents the symmetry line from being moved.

In your screenshot you have the Erase Brush Tool selected; is that the tool you want to use?

Hey Garry.
Sorry. I should have made sure that the Paint Brush tool was selected in that screenshot.
Other then that, all the settings in the screenshot are the ones that I'm using.

When I have the Paint Brush tool selected, 'Protect Alpha' is not checked.

You are trying to paint on a pixel layer that is inside another pixel layer called dragon

I don't think that will work in this situation

Move those sub pixel layers outside the dragon pixel layer then try painting again

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

3 hours ago, Sunil Wu said:

Screenshot of current workspace with Paint Brush selected.

Thanks. In that one you can see the Protect Alpha toggle in the Context Toolbar. But as Carl mentioned, your problem will be that you have your pixel layers nested, which is not what you want.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

3 hours ago, carl123 said:

You are trying to paint on a pixel layer that is inside another pixel layer called dragon

I don't think that will work in this situation

Move those sub pixel layers outside the dragon pixel layer then try painting again

Thank you!
That must have been the issue.

When I create a new pixel layer at the top of all other layer, I was able to use my brushes of choice on it.

I'm coming from Gimp and Inkscape. Layers are different in both of those programmes. But it seems that layers in Designer have aspects that I have yet to learn about.

Thanks again.

41 minutes ago, Sunil Wu said:

But it seems that layers in Designer have aspects that I have yet to learn about.

Here's a start on that: https://affinity.help/designer2/en-US.lproj/pages/Layers/layerClip.html

There's a good older tutorial on it, that I can't find right now :( 

In particular, for pixel layers, the nested (clipped) layer is only visible where the parent pixel layer's pixels exist and have a non-zero opacity.

-- Walt
PC: