You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

It would be great to have the ability to name pages instead of just having them viewed as 1, 2, 3, etc. For example, naming the page “Cover” or “Back Cover” or “Article about Rome” or whatever. We are allowed to name artboards in Designer, but not pages in Publisher. I also hate that InDesign doesn’t let you name pages, either.

9 hours ago, fde101 said:

It wouldn't be unreasonable to create sections for things at that level, and those can have names.

Or Books.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Sections, as advised by fde101, and Chapters (not Books) as advised by Walt, are the right solution when you need this.

Naming pages might work for your documents but for any document with text that flows automatically from page to page, it wouldn't make sense because the names wouldn't flow with the pages. For example, you might name page 10 as "Chapter 1" but if you add more text on page 9 then Chapter 1 might start on page 10.

Sections and Chapters are the way to organize your pages. The reason you might not find Sections useful is that the section names aren't displayed in the Pages panel. If the panel grouped the pages by section I think it would do what you wanted.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

1 hour ago, MikeTO said:

If the panel grouped the pages by section I think it would do what you wanted.

And I would like to have that a document that starts with page 63 as a page number shows a 63 as a page number in the bottom status line. And not page number 1. I requested this years? ago, but no luck. I can live with that ... hardly :(

----------
Windows 10 / 11, Complete Suite Retail and Beta

11 hours ago, MikeTO said:

Sections, as advised by fde101, and Chapters (not Books) as advised by Walt, are the right solution when you need this.

Naming pages might work for your documents but for any document with text that flows automatically from page to page, it wouldn't make sense because the names wouldn't flow with the pages. For example, you might name page 10 as "Chapter 1" but if you add more text on page 9 then Chapter 1 might start on page 10.

Sections and Chapters are the way to organize your pages. The reason you might not find Sections useful is that the section names aren't displayed in the Pages panel. If the panel grouped the pages by section I think it would do what you wanted.

Thanks for the replies.

If I export pages as individual images or PDFs, will it keep the name of the section with the exported file? That's what I'd really like it to do. Behave just like artboards.

If I was just looking to make books (Chapter 9, 10, etc) I wouldn't name my pages in such a way that it would interfere like that. But would be nice to have the feature.

42 minutes ago, chirpy said:

Thanks for the replies.

If I export pages as individual images or PDFs, will it keep the name of the section with the exported file? That's what I'd really like it to do. Behave just like artboards.

If I was just looking to make books (Chapter 9, 10, etc) I wouldn't name my pages in such a way that it would interfere like that. But would be nice to have the feature.

No, it will export them using the filename you type into the export dialog as the prefix for the numbered files. The files are numbered but the numbers don't correspond to the page numbers. i.e., if your starting page number is 10, the first file will be numbered 1.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

20 hours ago, chirpy said:

Isn't Designer a better fit for this type of work?

Paolo

3 hours ago, PaoloT said:

Isn't Designer a better fit for this type of work?

Paolo

That depends. If I am designing several flyers/ads, I would want to do those in Publisher for some text/master page features. Plus, I sometimes have to make tables on documents for clients. Instead of having to make individual files, it would be nice to be able to save exported PDFs with the names instead of having to name them manually every time I export.