You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

2.1.0 Photo/Designer crashing all the time.

Hi,

Both Photo and Designer are crashing like hell on my PC, v2.1

-Windows 11 PC, Hardware acceleration on or off (it doesn't matter).

It's happening in various situations:

-When I'm on Designer and directly send a file to Photo for editing (Open in Photo)

-When I double click an Affinity file to open it before first opening the app itself.

-Apparently random situations.

I'm looking forward to a solution, because I use them professionally.

Thank you,

Rafael. 

Hi Chris,

Thank you. I'm attaching the latest crash reports for both Photo and Designer.

Photo didn't seem to have saved reports for the latest crashes, though. 

Thank you,

Rafael

be9d4c5f-75d7-4d3c-b3a8-532cc4d2481b.dmp 54b19e81-4d5e-4baa-b540-972617bf577b.dmp 187c18d2-ee51-433e-909b-099b6eaaf27f.dmp 19061f94-4ae0-4425-bf85-0ae0bf159a2d.dmp 34042204-974b-41d8-be02-e638a4d58ea4.dmp 071b9404-a4cf-41ca-af9b-12a2d66ee53c.dmp 762b31c9-5f36-4793-9830-5be310b4d84d.dmp

• Staff

Hey,

Only one of those crash reports relates to build 1799 (the rest are older) and it seems to reference a crash whilst rendering.

Can you tell me what graphics card you are using and whether you have OpenCL enabled in Settings > Performance, please.

Hi Chris,

It seems that they are crashing without saving reports, though. It's going straight to Windows blue screen of death, maybe that's why.

My graphics card is a GeForce GTX 1060 6GB.

I tried disabling/enabling OpenCL, but it didn't make any difference. The performance is still unstable, although they appear to crash less with OpenCL disabled.

Thank you.

I too have been experiencing crashes with Photo Ver 2.1 both with Open CL activated or not. Have also tried different renderers default Intel Core i9, GTX 1050 Ti and WARP option, still crashing no matter what I select. Crashes intermittently when I open a saved Affinity Photo file with lots of layers and also every time I try to scroll back the history using the position slider. The screenshot shows my performance settings, unfortunately I've been struggling to find crash reports.

crashing.jpg

forum.png

• Staff
16 minutes ago, Rafael_Morgan said:

It's going straight to Windows blue screen of death, maybe that's why.

Our software runs in user mode so cannot directly cause a BSOD. Only kernel-mode applications (i.e. drivers) are capable of that. There is likely a driver issue on the system such as an out of date one or perhaps a conflict somewhere. I'm not sure if you have any utilities that can run a scan and check for any of these potential issues but it may be worth looking at. 

Try updating your GPU drivers (even better, uninstall and re-install them) and see if that helps, then check for any peripheral drivers such as gaming mice, keyboards. If you can, find out what the polling rate is for the mouse. Anything above 1000 polling rate can cause poor performance (we're currently looking into this).

• Staff

Same to you Balveda. If you are using WARP and still crashing then you might have a driver conflict. I would avoid using WARP at all costs as you will notice a severe performance hit.

Can you check for crash reports in the location I posted in my first reply.

3 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Our software runs in user mode so cannot directly cause a BSOD. Only kernel-mode applications (i.e. drivers) are capable of that. There is likely a driver issue on the system such as an out of date one or perhaps a conflict somewhere. I'm not sure if you have any utilities that can run a scan and check for any of these potential issues but it may be worth looking at. 

Try updating your GPU drivers (even better, uninstall and re-install them) and see if that helps, then check for any peripheral drivers such as gaming mice, keyboards. If you can, find out what the polling rate is for the mouse. Anything above 1000 polling rate can cause poor performance (we're currently looking into this).

Hi Chris,

I use Driver Booster to make sure everything is always up do date, so yes, graphics card and all peripherals are using the latest drivers.

Affinity is pretty much the only software I use that's crashing my PC, so most likely it's something on your end, not mine.

My mouse polling rate is 130 hz. 

• Staff
31 minutes ago, Rafael_Morgan said:

Affinity is pretty much the only software I use that's crashing my PC, so most likely it's something on your end, not mine.

We are either looking at an isolated software bug causing a crash which we need to pinpoint or the software is calling a driver which is faulting and leading to the BSOD. As I mentioned above, we cannot directly cause a BSOD—it's impossible. We can absolutely call a driver and cause it to fault which leads to a BSOD.

I'm mostly interested in the fact you are passing the documents between the apps. Do you store your files locally or on an external drive/cloud? 

Does Windows Event Viewer show anything for the BSOD?

Hi,

My affinity designer is shutting down automatically after updating to latest version. It happens every 5 mins, tried enabling / disabling openCL, Uninstalled / reinstalled, but nothing helps. I work for a company and it's causing me loss due to this. I've also updated my windows, graphics driver etc. Attached latest crash report.

Please provide a solution. 

PC Specifications: Windows 11, 16 gb ram, core i7 11700K processor, GTX 1050 ti 6GB

ec9bfd78-2821-4661-8c33-77b12d9b0f13.dmp

I thought I was the only one experiencing this but will follow up on this thread to see what resolution comes out!

Never be the Same Again !
---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF
Intel Core i5-10500T @2.30GHz with 12GiB 2666MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 for 10th Generation
M.2 2280, 512 GB, PCIe NVMe Gen3 x4, Class 40 SSD

Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2 + LibreOffice 7.5.3

@Uncle Mez I found a solution and it helped me, not sure if it will work for everyone, but you can give this a try.

@Dan C posted this solution a long time ago.

"Many thanks for providing that for me! I can see the app is crashing within Microsofts .NET - so I'd like to try running their repair tool, you can find this linked below:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=30135

After running this, I'd also like to try resetting Designer back to defaults, as this is only happening in one Affinity app for you.

You can reset your app back to its default settings by holding down the CTRL key while launching the app. When the Clear User Data window appears, click Select All and then Clear. The app will now open.

Be aware that resetting your app back to its default settings will lose any custom settings such as keyboard shortcuts and brushes etc. To backup such settings before resetting the app"

• Staff
14 hours ago, ppp said:

Photo 2.1.0 crashes for seemingly any action.

Doesn't crash after disabling hardware accel.
Win10 here, two nvdia gpus.

85cc5cd7-2932-4788-b322-e89c52d30607.dmp 6.39 MB · 1 download

That crash is referencing a GPU driver. I'd recommend uninstalling the current drivers and install fresh ones. This often works more reliably that simply updating if you're experiencing crashes. That or the fact you have two NVIDIA GPU's installed and the software is getting confused.

Is it a laptop with an eGPU or a desktop with two GPU's inside? It might be worth disabling the weaker GPU in Device Manager to see if the crash is consistent.

On 5/24/2023 at 2:40 PM, Chris B said:

Same to you Balveda. If you are using WARP and still crashing then you might have a driver conflict. I would avoid using WARP at all costs as you will notice a severe performance hit.

Can you check for crash reports in the location I posted in my first reply.

Still using WARP not having issues any more. Mysteriously this was both before and after a recent driver update that Nvidia put out. I'm using WARP mostly out of curiousity. Thanks for your advice, I'll switch back to either CPU or GPU.

forum.png