You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo 2.1 (not sure if it is only related to this) copy and paste and export is not consistent

1 minute ago, GarryP said:

Manipulating a selection like that actually stretches/squashes the pixels in the original selection.
Because of that, sub-pixels will be created in the selection and, therefore, the software needs to do something with those sub-pixels when you copy the selected areas, usually by creating new pixels to hold the contents of the sub-pixels.

So how the F... do you resize the marquee then?

Yep, what GarryP said.

In order to get a pixel-perfect selection, you have to drag it out with the marquee and not edit it in any other way. If it helps, as of V2.1, you can now hold down the spacebar to move your entire selection.

Wait a minute how is it being squashed? If we are getting an extra pixel.

I could very easily have made the marque 10x10 and use the transform to change its size and place it into position, and by what you are saying that should squash it even further. It is also not getting squashed it is actually adding a another pixel on the width, no matter what I do!

2 minutes ago, CyberAngel said:

So how the F... do you resize the marquee then?

Pixel selections can be a hassle. You can add or subtract to a pixel selection using the Mode options on the left side of the Context Toolbar.

7 minutes ago, CyberAngel said:

Wait a minute how is it being squashed?

I said “stretches/squashes”.

If you make the width/height smaller than the original value then the selection pixels will be squashed and if you make the width/height larger than the original value then the selection pixels will be stretched.

As far as I know, Photo has done this since ‘day one’ and it is expected, if not always wanted, behaviour.

To get a perfect selection of a large rectangular area than Brian_J’s suggestion is probably best.

I’ve attached a short video showing, at extremes, what happens.

Once the paste has been performed, and the new layer moved to the side, look at the pixels at the top and bottom of the new layer and how they are semi-transparent because of the stretching.

For very small selections it might not be as noticeable but the larger the changes that larger the stretch/squash.
For some selections you might not see any difference, but for others you will.
Because of this I find that it’s best not to manipulate the selection this way unless you actually want it to happen.

If you don’t want to use Brian_J’s method, an alternative is to create a Rectangle of the necessary size/position and then use menu “Select → Selection From Layer” or “Select → Selection From Layer and Delete”.

2 minutes ago, GarryP said:

I’ve attached a short video showing, at extremes, what happens.

Once the paste has been performed, and the new layer moved to the side, look at the pixels at the top and bottom of the new layer and how they are semi-transparent because of the stretching.

For very small selections it might not be as noticeable but the larger the changes that larger the stretch/squash.
For some selections you might not see any difference, but for others you will.

If you don’t want to use Brian_J’s method, an alternative is to create a Rectangle of the necessary size/position and then use menu “Select → Selection From Layer” or “Select → Selection From Layer and Delete”.

Again, I am saying it has to be a bug. There is no way in hell any normal person can eyeball a marquee of that size and do a copy and paste. That makes it unusable!

It’s not a bug; it’s how the software has been designed to work (for whatever reason(s)).

There have been plenty of requests for it not to work like this, but it still works like this.

You can find an existing request and ‘add your voice’ to it if you want to.

Until something changes, if it ever does, you probably need to be making the selection differently to how you are doing it.

3 minutes ago, GarryP said:

It’s not a bug; it’s how the software has been designed to work (for whatever reason(s)).

There have been plenty of requests for it not to work like this, but it still works like this.

You can find an existing request and ‘add your voice’ to it if you want to.

Until something changes, if it ever does, you probably need to be making the selection differently to how you are doing it.

easy I'll ask for my money back, its that simple!

34 minutes ago, GarryP said:

an alternative is to create a Rectangle of the necessary size/position and then use menu “Select → Selection From Layer” or “Select → Selection From Layer and Delete”.

Good suggestion. It didn't occur to me, that's something I often do if I need to make a precise pixel selection.

To make the selection, Ctrl-click the Layer thumbnail also works. (I'm assuming Command-click on Mac.)

13 minutes ago, Brian_J said:

Good suggestion. It didn't occur to me, that's something I often do if I need to make a precise pixel selection.

To make the selection, Ctrl-click the Layer thumbnail also works. (I'm assuming Command-click on Mac.)

Or simply do not deselect, and paste back into the marquee, how the hell does that work and deselecting doesn't!

3 hours ago, CyberAngel said:

Or simply do not deselect, and paste back into the marquee, how the hell does that work and deselecting doesn't!

I was referring using the Rectangle Tool to create a shape the size of the desired selection and making a pixel selection from the Rectangle layer. It doesn’t matter if you deselect before or after pasting.

35 minutes ago, Brian_J said:

I was referring using the Rectangle Tool to create a shape the size of the desired selection and making a pixel selection from the Rectangle layer. It doesn’t matter if you deselect before or after pasting.

I get that.

However, what I was stating was that if I did what I did. Create a 10x10 marquee, then use the transform to resize it and position it. I could simply just Ctrl + C and Ctrl +V and then deselect everything and the pasted image is perfect. 

14 hours ago, CyberAngel said:

I end up with the pasted image 1 pixel bigger in the width than it should be.

You wound up with a "bad" image from the internet, not so much bad as malformed.

There is a clear pixel. I have deleted that row.

1303410127_NoBlankpixels.png.7238485ba273251584c35e9721ce76e2.png

and here is a zipped copy of it.

No Blank pixels.png.zip

The basic grid that this image uses for its construction is 8x8, the dark blue and black squares. The image from the internet was 225 pixels wide. I deleted the blank 225th pixel. Eight goes into 224 28 times.

I hope this helps.

==========================

As for copying and pasting the way I work is to use the vector shapes and size and position them with the transform panel so as to ensure their positioning and size are exact pixels. I then go and use Select > Selection from layer, then I use the layers panel and select the appropriate pixel layer to copy from and copy. Paste, then deselect and use the move tool to place the copy where I want it.

I am not at all certain of what it is you are trying to achieve here.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

8 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

You wound up with a "bad" image from the internet, not so much bad as malformed.

There is a clear pixel. I have deleted that row.

1303410127_NoBlankpixels.png.7238485ba273251584c35e9721ce76e2.png

and here is a zipped copy of it.

No Blank pixels.png.zip 4.14 kB · 1 download

The basic grid that this image uses for its construction is 8x8, the dark blue and black squares. The image from the internet was 225 pixels wide. I deleted the blank 225th pixel. Eight goes into 224 28 times.

I hope this helps.

As for copying and pasting the way I work is to use the vector shapes and size and position them with the transform panel so as to ensure their positioning and size are exact pixels. I then go and use Select > Selection from layer, then I use the layers panel and select the appropriate pixel layer to copy from and copy. Paste, then deselect and use the move tool to place the copy where I want it.

I am not at all certain of what it is you are trying to achieve here.

How can the original image be 225 pixels wide?

This is the original image, which I attached to my post, and its 368 pixels wide. I am also very well aware how that each of these are 8x8 grid which equates to 224 x 248 in size. It is the original image, that I am trying to actually crop!

image.png.950b3b0dc6ca177f79d808977e791876.png

41 minutes ago, CyberAngel said:

This is the original image

I would say that that is a screenshot of the original image, which you downloaded from the internet, opened in Affinity Photo or some other image viewing/editing application. 

I downloaded this

603852033_ScreenShot2023-05-20at8_31_47AM.png.41ba24d49b3f0ac4ff7754602e7daa85.png

from one of your earlier posts. I haven't seen a post of the Original Image Downloaded from the Internet. I have only seen screenshots of it already opened.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

19 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

I would say that that is a screenshot of the original image, which you downloaded from the internet, opened in Affinity Photo or some other image viewing/editing application. 

I downloaded this

603852033_ScreenShot2023-05-20at8_31_47AM.png.41ba24d49b3f0ac4ff7754602e7daa85.png

from one of your earlier posts. I haven't seen a post of the Original Image Downloaded from the Internet. I have only seen screenshots of it already opened.

Check again, it is the last image attached in my first post.

1 hour ago, CyberAngel said:

How can the original image be 225 pixels wide?

Just check what your original test.afphoto file from this post shows in the Transform panel when you have selected its topmost 73389.png layer. This is what it shows when I do that:

830722102_xformpanel.jpg.299052f59852ef79a9fb12d3c3f992fd.jpg

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

7 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Just check what your original test.afphoto file from this post shows in the Transform panel when you have selected its topmost 73389.png layer. This is what it shows when I do that:

830722102_xformpanel.jpg.299052f59852ef79a9fb12d3c3f992fd.jpg

Yes, that is the copied and pasted image, the original image as I stated is larger than that and you can see that in the post.

25 minutes ago, CyberAngel said:

Check again, it is the last image attached in my first post.

I have to say that I have no problem selecting just the "checkerboard" area 224 x 248 pixels. I copy and paste and get 224 x 248 pixels and it is just the checkerboard, no empty pixels The one thing I notice which you and I have set up differently is that you have Move by Whole pixels turned on. This may be influencing the selection even though you have snapping off.

1933831677_ScreenShot2023-05-20at9_05_08AM.png.80e134aa86ab019ede00a8e79631c5e3.png

For pixel perfect work I use a one pixel grid set and have the snapping turned on and only have Snap to Grid turned on. I never have Move by Whole Pixels turned on.

Just now, Old Bruce said:

I have to say that I have no problem selecting just the "checkerboard" area 224 x 248 pixels. I copy and paste and get 224 x 248 pixels and it is just the checkerboard, no empty pixels The one thing I notice which you and I have set up differently is that you have Move by Whole pixels turned on. This may be influencing the selection even though you have snapping off.

1933831677_ScreenShot2023-05-20at9_05_08AM.png.80e134aa86ab019ede00a8e79631c5e3.png

For pixel perfect work I use a one pixel grid set and have the snapping turned on and only have Snap to Grid turned on. I never have Move by Whole Pixels turned on.

Did you do the steps I stated?

15 hours ago, CyberAngel said:

First thing that I do is place a marquee down as such, which fits the grid perfectly.

From here, I have tried various methods to copy that marquee and past it into a new layer, every method that I have tried and found as ways to achieve this on the internet, always ends up the same.

First thing I did was turn on Snapping and make sure I had Move by Whole Pixels turned off and only had snap to Grid turned on. Using my 1 pixel grid. Then I dragged a marquee from the upper right to lower left. I zoomed in to check the corners and then I copied and pasted and wound up with the 224 x 248 pixel sized layer.

7 minutes ago, CyberAngel said:

Yes, that is the copied and pasted image, the original image as I stated is larger than that and you can see that in the post.

All I can tell you is that image is 225 px wide. I do not know how you copied it or from what, but that is its width. And just as @Old Bruce mentioned, I have no problems dragging out a 224 x 248 px marquee selection, & copying & pasting that at those exact dimensions, without the extra pixels on the right.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7