You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

curve that I drew in Affinity Designer 2 doesn't show

I am baffled.
I drew a foot in Affinity Designer 2.  It doesn't show up at all unless I select the layer, then an outline of the foot shows.  It should have a black stroke and a grey fill.
I moved this group to the top of my layers and I turned off all of my other layers to try to see what the problem is. 

This layer may have been marked Passthrough - I can't remember  - I have changed so many layers from Passthrough to Normal

I looked up Passthrough since I had never seen it before (I've been using Affinity for decades and V2 for months.  I am using 2.0.4 now) and it says that it preserves the fidelity of imported pdf items.  I have not imported a pdf into any of my documents that now show so many layers as Passthrough. 

So, Why won't my foot show and what is this Passthrough layer setting that is making things not show and is driving me crazy?
image.png.3481dc49e1bd8ab88f9d70bbf8237b22.png

@AncientWire Does the foot show if you move it out of the Helene Right Leg Maille parent folder/group?

Also, is the opacity of the parent layer set to 100%?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Is the Pixel layer empty? Meaning is there any pixel information filling it or is is full of zero opacity pixels? It is only as large (in x, y co-ordinates) as the pixels it contains.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 hour ago, Old Bruce said:

Is the Pixel layer empty?

What pixel layer do you mean? From the screenshot, the foot is a vector layer with a 2 px black stroke applied to it, so the stroke should normally be visible even if it is unfilled.

FWIW, I think @firstdefence is on the right track regarding the parent layer's opacity.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

7 minutes ago, R C-R said:

What pixel layer do you mean? From the screenshot, the foot is a vector layer with a 2 px black stroke applied to it, so the stroke should normally be visible even if it is unfilled.

Probably, the pixel layer that the screenshot shows the Curve is clipped into. The Curve will only be visible where that pixel layer has pixels.

Similar to this example, with a curve clipped into a pixel layer:

image.thumb.png.7104ed3b8727b5a9763ccd6e6af5fbbe.png

Here's the .afdesign file (saved in 2.1 beta): 

clipping.afdesign

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thank you for your patience with me and your suggestions! 
It appears that I was sloppy / crazy / not paying attention and created a new PIXEL Layer and then moved the VECTOR layers within it to act like a group. 
I am quite tired and this project has been going on for months and I made a mistake and couldn't see it - I even said to myself, " Huh, that group icon looks funny."  You can see that I repeated this mistake several times.  The bummer is that even though I saved a backup, I saved the backup after I messed it up.  LOL  Oh well, off to fix things! 
Thank you!

Probably, the pixel layer that the screenshot shows the Curve is clipped into. The Curve will only be visible where that pixel layer has pixels.

Similar to this example, with a curve clipped into a pixel layer:

Nice catch @walt.farrell

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

5 hours ago, firstdefence said:

Nice catch @walt.farrell

Thanks, but @Old Bruce noticed it first :) 

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1