You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text frames will not resize

Try the Move Tool (Arrow icon) for the selected layer and access with that the handles of the selected frame (it's bounding box).

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

18 hours ago, Churchy said:

The cursor turns into the text frame creation symbol

The "T" (or "A" ?) cursor icon is one of seven different symbols for the Text Tool. It depends on the exact cursor position. Maybe a relaunch of AD can help? If not can you upload a video demonstrating the issue when hovering the cursor on / around the text frame?

634022871_texttoolcursors7.jpg.12294b0b98ad4b442dd9e0968eb0adbd.jpg . 919779243_texttoolcursors1.jpg.075cb01d504fceb9046d6c48641e1283.jpg. 2085836506_texttoolcursors2.jpg.43a9511ffd9b247d74aa536431d104f0.jpg  . 634575353_texttoolcursors3.jpg.c885a5bce455f2651a09bd51ee76f5bc.jpg1859328608_texttoolcursors4.jpg.284d8ce0ac56f1877179b2c7c344d8d5.jpg . 785856754_texttoolcursors6.jpg.1dda2aed77c297659e836132caae8406.jpg . 711630661_texttoolcursors5.jpg.dc7bb9a3d5bbaf52b2bfba709b111d85.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

thanks. It looks like I was selecting the wrong "dot" on the box. Sadly I don't have time to reflow all the text of my document into Affinity now; I'm stuck using InDesign for this issue. (It is the Knight Letter magazine, official publication of the Lewis Carroll Society of North America [shameless plug].) I'll try again when I have time.

No idea how to make a video; I'm technologically challenged.

14 hours ago, Churchy said:

It looks like I was selecting the wrong "dot" on the box.

Unlikely. Every "dot" (= handle) works to drag + resize any object, Text Frames with Text Tool included.

Could it be a problem with the mouse? I had similar problems several times during the last years. My mouse was damaged in that cases and often made double clicks if I made a single click. And if you double click on a text frame with the move tool, it will change to the text tool.

• 3 weeks later...

It looks like there are an inexplicable number of layers on the page. I have tried to hide or delete some of them with no success. To my dismay I have found layers that include elements were superannuated in the original InDesign document. They should not have been saved when this document was saved as IDML and brought into AD.

11 hours ago, Churchy said:

I have tried to hide or delete some of them with no success.

It should be possible for the user to hide or delete any layer they wish – the software should not be not allowing you to do that, so that sounds odd to me.
If you can’t show us a video of the problem, can you show us a full-screen screenshot including your Layers Panel with one of the ‘non-delete-able’(?) layers selected in that Panel?

To my dismay I have found layers that include elements were superannuated in the original InDesign document.

I don’t understand what you mean by “superannuated” in this context. Can you explain further?

They should not have been saved when this document was saved as IDML and brought into AD.

I can’t tell whether you think that’s a problem with saving the document in InDesign or opening the document in Designer. Can you give us more information about the problem?

12 hours ago, Churchy said:

It looks like there are an inexplicable number of layers on the page. I have tried to hide or delete some of them with no success. To my dismay I have found layers that include elements were superannuated in the original InDesign document. They should not have been saved when this document was saved as IDML and brought into AD.

This appears to be a new, quite different topic, not at all related to the initial text frame resize question, – correct?

If you don't want ID to save certain objects in the .IDML format you would have to delete those items from the ID layout before saving it as .idml.

Also note, ID can use Global Layers – these occur in Affinity across the entire document on every single page, regardless whether they contain layout items or not. To prevent them from occurring in Affinity you would have to avoid them in ID before.