You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Different crop tool when creating new document from clipboard in other persona (split)

Crop in Publisher v2 doesn't work as expected, I have all three apps so using studio link

1) open publisher

2) switch to photo personna

2) file -> new from clipboard (i am pasting a screenshot into the app)

4) attempt crop in Photo personna, behavior is different to what you expect when working directly in Photo app

When you are in Publisher, and switch to the Photo Persona, and then use “File → New From Clipboard”, the software switches back to the Publisher Persona and creates a new Publisher document, not a Photo document, because you are using Publisher.

The personas are ways to access some of the functionalities of the other software but you are still using the application that you launched and new documents will be of the type relevant to the application rather than the persona.

If you want the crop tool to work as it normally works in Photo then all you need to do is switch back to the Photo Persona after using “File → New From Clipboard”, or, don’t switch to the Photo Persona before you use “File → New From Clipboard” and switch personas after using that functionality.

I believe that this is expected behaviour.

Edited by GarryP
Added clarification.

If I know that I want to use Photo’s functionalities more than those of the other applications then I normally launch Photo, rather than launching Publisher and then switching to the Photo Persona, but maybe I’m in a minority there.

I can’t say what would be best in the situation which has been outlined above as I haven’t had any need to work that way, hence my not knowing that Publisher didn’t have a “File → New From Clipboard” function.

I’ll leave it to the people who want to do such a thing to discuss what would be a good solution.

11 minutes ago, N.P.M. said:

Opening an image should be possible in publisher as photo can also open documents.

You can open images in Publisher (just by using File > Open)

I do it all the time, if I want to use a particular Publisher only option directly on an image

(Windows 11)

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Change File name to *.* and hit Enter to see all files

change.png

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

1 minute ago, carl123 said:

Change File name to *.* and hit Enter to see all files

Only on Windows, I think.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

5 hours ago, carl123 said:

You can open images in Publisher (just by using File > Open)

JPG, PNG, & similar raster image types cannot be opened via File > Open in the Mac versions -- they are all greyed out so they cannot be selected in the Open window. But bizarrely enough, they can be opened by dropping them onto the APub application icon, or into an APub document window, or via a right click 'open with' menu item from Finder.

This is a long standing if minor bug that has persisted since the very first Mac version of APub was released.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

34 minutes ago, R C-R said:

This is a long standing if minor bug that has persisted since the very first Mac version of APub was released.

My guess is that having Publisher restrict File > Open to document files was an intentional design decision, to guide users toward the intended usage of the product.

It operates the same on Mac, but File Explorer gives some additional workarounds for determined users that Finder doesn't provide.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 minute ago, walt.farrell said:

My guess is that having Publisher restrict File > Open to document files was an intentional design decision, to guide users toward the intended usage of the product.

If so, it was an odd design decision since APUb is perfectly capable of opening bitmap images, which at least occasionally might be a logical way to start an APub project.

Personally, I just think it is a bug.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7