You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Node Reshape on Delete - Option to Set as Default

Hi! I have a suggestion that would be really nice for us non-technical figurative illustrators.

Currently when deleting a node in the middle of a curve (between 2 other nodes), the default behavior is to maintain the exact direction of the surrounding node handles, often resulting in a warped shape. Designer has a key command to reshape and attempt to maintain the curve when deleting nodes if you alt+delete (windows) or option+delete on mac.  It's not perfect but the result is way more useful than the default node delete behavior. 

This alternate delete function is really good for illustration since creative drawing would rarely have a use for the un-fixed result, but it's an extra step to remember on desktop... and a REALLY unintuitive to perform on iPad. 

Would it be possible to get a checkbox in the settings menu to "reshape curve on node delete by default" added to the iPad app (and possibly desktop) to perform the equivalent of an option+delete by default when selecting a node and tapping the trash can icon (or hitting delete on desktop)? This would be a godsend on iPad, I always have to reshape curves when node editing my drawings, and allowing the alternate delete behavior by default would save tons of time when editing. 

Thanks for considering! 

Screenshot 2023-03-27 at 10.50.59 AM.png

Art director by day, illustrator by night: Check Out My Shutterstock Gallery

3 hours ago, TonyO said:

Designer has a key command to reshape and attempt to maintain the curve when deleting nodes if you alt+delete (windows)

Joke from the developers - if you're using the Pen Tool, pressing the Ctrl key will temporarily switch to the Node Tool. Then to delete the selected node while keeping the original shape, you have to press Alt + Delete, and guess what happens 🙂 P.S. Maybe that's why the procedure with Backspace is listed in the Help.

It's a pity that Delete Node with reshape and Delete Node without reshape are not part of the context menu.
image.png.47d48d193967f10eb521b7679b4f9144.png

Many users don't even know about this hidden option with ALT - it's not even listed in the Status bar.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

• 2 months later...
On 6/24/2023 at 6:28 PM, Red Sands said:

Oh yes Illustrator does its best to preserve paths, but I think only since CC 2020 or so. 

Oh, i see. You have to hold shift while using the node remove tool in illustrator (a tool that could be completely be replaced by the delete key... but "illustrator") - ya, it's not very good though, it just compensates for node handle length but doesn't appear to move the handle directions to compensate for the shape difference.

Corel literally hired PHD math professors to handle their node correction algorithm, it was amazing as far back as i can remember using it in 2001 at my first job. 

Art director by day, illustrator by night: Check Out My Shutterstock Gallery