You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is it possible to constrain a line to certain measurements, and still adjust the curve?

Now I see, what you were talking about, JimmyJack …  :rolleyes:

Well, my initial thought was indeed that the only currently feasible method lies in approaching the problem from the other end. But I wouldn’t claim the text-on-path solution to be mine. Quite the contrary, I believe it was the result of combined forces and shared efforts, so to say, and that’s why this forum is so great …  :)

What concerns your last question, I believe we will have to retrace the path.

I fear every alternative is too cumbersome. 

Cheers everybody,

Alex

The green text lines (20 inches) are what have to be discussed. They do not change their length. Do you see them change?

When the green text lines go to the right, only the path is enlarged virtually, not the green text lines.

So how does this not change the path length? How can this be converted back into something suitable for creating sewing patterns?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

So how does this not change the path length? How can this be converted back into something suitable for creating sewing patterns?

The green text line (not the path) that represents the big letter and that is to be exported does not change its length when changing the path. It is swimming like a rope on the path/water. You can centre align all together with one click or change the length by changing the tab stop.

Just export the single strikethrough as EPS, reopen the EPS and then get the specs of the sewing thingy.

HTH

If you import the three strikethroughs into a CAD or a better design app you can see that they all have the same length because the tab stop was the same.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone, and thank you so much for all of your replies! :)  I haven't carefully read through each of them yet, but I will!!

I took a break from affinity designer to learn how to use Blender and learn how to do 3d modeling... I discovered that through uv mapping I can model my sewing projects and then have an automatic sewing pattern for them... this eliminates my need to create sewing patterns in AF, as my "uv map" from Blender will ensure that my seams are all the same length. I appreciate this information for affinity designer, as I am sure it will be very handy at some point though, and thank you again for taking time out of your day to figure out the tricky stuff and explain it all!  :)  I now need to resize my pattern pieces in Affinity Designer, somehow delete the mesh lines in the middle (so it only prints the outline) and I need to lay them out over several pieces of paper in an artboard before printing them. I came back to this forum to jog my memory on how to do those things now... I was surprised to see so many extra comments on this thread! Thanks again!  :)

A B C, Oval, or Jimmyjack.... or anyone...

I was hoping one of you could help me with learning how to put text on a path and set the digits by equally spaced tabulators?

I read through your instructions Oval, but you lost me at the first sentence... pressing the dash button doesn't seem to do anything. ?

What I am trying to do is draw outlines for this sewing pattern that I have created, and get the measurements along the outlines so that I can ensure my seams will be the same length when I need to match them up.

Thank you for any and every bit of help!  :)

Otter sewing pattern.afdesign

Hi Jillybelly,

it has been a while since I used Blender for the last time, so I cannot remember the available export options. I would check to see if it is possible to create a SVG file from your Blender paths. Then you could open this file in Affinity Designer, and you would have the paths already available. In order to apply the measurement method detailed above, you would have to do something like the following (see my video):

• Select the path you created.
  • Choose Layer > Convert to Text Path. A blinking caret cursor will appear on your path and you can start typing.
  • Use Option + / to create vertical strokes (German keyboard) and the Tab key to space these strokes equally along the path. You can also insert numbers and the like. [Edit: Of course, you can also use the single tab method described by Oval below.]
  • Please be aware that the stroke attributes are removed from your path as soon as you convert it to a text path. In order to see your path again, select all the text you inserted, and choose Underline from the Character Panel. Adjust the baseline of your text to match the path and the underline.

Hope that helps,

Alex  :)

…help me with learning how to put text on a path and set the digits by equally spaced tabulators…

I read through your instructions Oval, but you lost me at the first sentence... pressing the dash button doesn't seem to do anything. ?

I hope you can find a tutorial (like this) that is helpful for you.

You don’t need a dash. Only one tab stop at the position of your desired length. Advantage: You can change the length of many selected objects at once!

Here is a simple AD example:

dddd.afdesign

• 7 years later...

I was sucked into this thread because of the search topic I searched on, but I so not see an answer to it, so if y'all will bear with me while I ask it again..... Is there a way to lock the length of a line so that no matter how many nodes you add to it and no matter how many bends you make to the line the overall length of the line remains constant?  

Thanks!

Don

1 minute ago, Donlad said:

Is there a way to lock the length of a line so that no matter how many nodes you add to it and no matter how many bends you make to the line the overall length of the line remains constant?  

No.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7