You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Showing Affinity icon for file thumbnail on Windows 11

I don't know why Serif removed affinity icon on thumbnail of the affinity files. I think users need this, especially me. I always export file into the same folder as affinity files. So there are no different between affinity files thumb and image files thumb when I switch to thumbnail view. It's hard to notice which files are affinity files. Is it a bug or do i miss something? If not, I hope Serif could add this feature back. The attached file is my suggestion.

I'm using: Affinity V2.0.4 and 2.1.0.1714 beta, Windows 11 latest stable version.

The original screenshot that represents the issue.

802147158_Screenshot2023-03-03091324.png.6820e26bc93ceb9b6738cc38b1ce103e.png

My suggestion: How the icon should be displayed.

Affinity File Icon Thumbnail.jpg

Edited by Sonny Sonny
Adding the original screenshot of the problem

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what your problem is! AFAIK Serif haven't "removed" anything. Here is how the thumbnails of an image saved from each Affinity app appear for me. All the same, except for the file extension and the icon on the thumbnail.

ice_screenshot_20230302-155441.png.1266ad8dba909f3a899c39c050d205ee.png

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

4 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what your problem is! AFAIK Serif haven't "removed" anything. Here is how the thumbnails of an image saved from each Affinity app appear for me. All the same, except for the file extension and the icon on the thumbnail.

ice_screenshot_20230302-155441.png.1266ad8dba909f3a899c39c050d205ee.png

Which version are you using (Affinity and Windows)?

Affinity: v2. Windows 10. Both using latest updates.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

2 hours ago, Sonny Sonny said:

So there are no different between affinity files thumb and image files thumb when I switch to thumbnail view. It's hard to notice which files are affinity files. Is it a bug or do i miss something?

I'm probably confused, but your screenshot shows thumbnails with the Affinity icons on them. So I'm not sure what the problem is.

However, I'm seeing the icons, too, on Windows 10 with Photo 2.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

9 hours ago, PaulEC said:

Affinity: v2. Windows 10. Both using latest updates.

So windows 11 is the problem.

8 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

I'm probably confused, but your screenshot shows thumbnails with the Affinity icons on them. So I'm not sure what the problem is.

However, I'm seeing the icons, too, on Windows 10 with Photo 2.

It's my suggestion how the icon should be displayed. This is the original screenshot. You and PaulEC are both using Windows 10. So now I know it's the compatibility issue between Windows 11 and Affinity.

Screenshot 2023-03-03 091324.png

1 hour ago, Sonny Sonny said:

So windows 11 is the problem.

It's not a Windows 11 problem it's a Windows 11 setting

Switch on "Display file icon on thumbnails"

Search Google to find how to switch that on

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Those settings can be specific to certain folders or folder types

If you're not seeing file icons for other programs (non-Affinity apps) then it's still Windows 11 where you need to "fix" the issue not the Affinity apps

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

1 hour ago, carl123 said:

Those settings can be specific to certain folders or folder types

If you're not seeing file icons for other programs (non-Affinity apps) then it's still Windows 11 where you need to "fix" the issue not the Affinity apps

Thanks but the issue was not happen with Affinity V1 files and other applications. So, it's not a big problem, I can live with it. I just hope it could be fixed someday.

Well, I don't know what to suggest

If works fine for me in V2 and the V2 beta using Windows 11

I can switch on/off the file icons, at will, by adjusting my Windows settings

You may want to compare your Preferences setting in V1 & V2 to see if anything there stands out

Or check Windows updates etc to see if a "recent" update caused issues for other users regarding these file icons

My Windows updates are always, deliberately, postponed for at least 5 weeks so never uptodate

• Staff

Hi @Sonny Sonny,

There is an issue currently logged in relation to the lack of the Affinity icon thumbnails displayed on the thumbnail preview, as far as I'm aware issue is only present if the .MSIX version of the application is installed.

If you uninstall all Affinity Apps and then install the .MSI version of the apps and then re-assign .Afdesign/.Afpub/.Afphoto files to open in their respective V2 app again in File Explorer (Right Click > Properties > 'Open With') this should then restore the affinity icon on the thumbnail preview.

If you own all three Affinity apps, make sure to uninstall each of them and install the .MSI version, because if there is a mixture of MSI/MSIX installed this will lead to conflicts and issues. I've linked the full guide below on how to install the MSI apps below.

16 hours ago, NathanC said:

Hi @Sonny Sonny,

There is an issue currently logged in relation to the lack of the Affinity icon thumbnails displayed on the thumbnail preview, as far as I'm aware issue is only present if the .MSIX version of the application is installed.

If you uninstall all Affinity Apps and then install the .MSI version of the apps and then re-assign .Afdesign/.Afpub/.Afphoto files to open in their respective V2 app again in File Explorer (Right Click > Properties > 'Open With') this should then restore the affinity icon on the thumbnail preview.

If you own all three Affinity apps, make sure to uninstall each of them and install the .MSI version, because if there is a mixture of MSI/MSIX installed this will lead to conflicts and issues. I've linked the full guide below on how to install the MSI apps below.

Thanks, msi.exe version solved the issue 🙏 but it also brings back an issue about Color Balance adjustment lol.