You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

PSD thumbnails - an old question that never goes away...

Windows has no codec for PSDs.  Adobe won't give one out.   So Windows users can't see thumbnails of PSDs in File Explorer.

I've switched from PS Elements to Affinity Photo, which handles my old PSDs just fine.  But finding the old PSD I want is a real pain without thumbnails.

There are a couple of 3rd party codecs available.  One is in Sage Thumbnails, which I foolishly installed once, and it messed up all my file extension assignments, jumped in on various right-click menus, and screwed up my system in other ways.  I uninstalled it.

I'm not expecting anything to change here, but it doesn't hurt to ask once in a while - is there anything from Affinity that can create the missing PSD thumbnails?  

Never heard of sage thumbnails but a mate uses: https://www.fastpictureviewer.com/codecs/ on his windows system.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

10 hours ago, jimh12345 said:

Sage Thumbnails, which I foolishly installed once,

I have to agree about Sage Thumbs! When I first installed it I thought it was great, but I then discovered that it was causing APhoto to crash in certain circumstances, so I had to uninstall it again! I don't actually use PSD files often, but when I need to view them, I just use Irfanview.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

yeah Eagle and Fastpicture codec Pack are perfect.

It seems that there is also Mystic Thumbs available but I never used it and it is much more expensive than Fastpicturecodec.

https://mysticcoder.net/mysticthumbs.html

Sketchbook (with Affinity Suite usage) | timurariman.com | artstation store

Windows 11 Pro - 23H2 | Ryzen 5800X3D | RTX 3090 - 24GB | 128GB |
Main SSD with 1TB | SSD 4TB | PCIe SSD 256GB (configured as Scratch disk) |

• 2 months later...

download and install Pictus, free image viewer, then run it once.

right click on empty window and choose open, then browse for a folder which contains .psd files.

Pictus will show thumbnails, then close Pictus. But after you've used it windows explorer will then have access to the codec to display .psd files, so you can see them when you browse from Affinity publisher to import and place images.

https://poppeman.se/pictus/