You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hiding / removing ugly grafitti on a subject in a photo

Hello,

I'm seeking the best way to remove the unwanted grafitti seen on the lower right of the bridge in the pic attached.  I've tried the In-Painiting tool brush but it doesn't seem to work effectively over the details of the engravings. It just ends up removing parts of the engravings.  This is a tricky one and has me stumped.  I am fairly new to all this - have the new Affinity Photo 2 and all version 2 apps.

IMG_0249.jpeg

Welcome to the forums, :)

I played with using the Clone Stamp brush and found it does work fairly well. You just need to zoom in, constantly change brush size, and try using the Lighter Color Blend mode for the brush. Couple screenshots of just a little I worked on it.

graffiti.jpg

graffiti-1.jpg

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

Using the Clone Stamp Brush, this is what I managed to do. Could have done better taking more time..

graffiti_fixed.jpg

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

Hello @Peter Williams

Welcome to this forum.

As Ron P. wrote, there is no simple solution to removing graffiti, in this image.
Use select tool ; Clone Tool and Inpainting Tool, and with a little practice you will get there.

Cheers

IMG_0249.jpeg.5655cfe612b11c99a255790edb9aed69.jpeg

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3527)

Thanks Ron, I tried both the In-Painting and the Clone Brush tools. I admit that both work well on the plain surfaces but on the engravings I find it just erases the detail. What I mean is, it colours over the ugly black graffiti well but in doing so, the detail of the engravings is gone. But appreciate your help..I’ll keep at it. 

I’ll keep trying. I’m impressed by the results. Thanks heaps to both of you, 

Peter 

Also the Healing Brush tool can be useful.
Also, it's a good idea to use a separate pixel layer for the correction so that you can quickly compare to the unedited original.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

17 minutes ago, Peter Williams said:

All noted, and thank you to all who assisted.  Much appreciated.

Hello @Peter Williams,

Try to adapt the following technique to Affinity Photo and your picture.

This should give you much better results.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4