You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Aff Publisher - Font Size & Leading Spacing not coordinating

Hello,

I'm 200 pages into formatting my book and all of a sudden I can not get text size and Leading spacing to cooperate/coordinate on a 2-3 pages. It acts like I've got some weird setting set up for this particualar chuck of text which overlaps into 2 seperate pages. If I edit the text size and leading size so it's correct on one paragraph or page it AUTOMATICALLY screws up the text size/leading before or after the section I just fixed. The font size might drop from a 12 to a 7 - or if I select 12 pt size the rest automatically turns into 20. When I edit the Leading back to 15 the font size changes. The problem often happens mid-sentence.

I've copied the weird text > put in Google Docs and made everything uniform with near zero formatting > downloaded it (doc.x)- Placed it - deleted the weird text > & voila - it's screwed up again.  I'm using the exact same Master page throughout the book - and there is no 'duplicate' master applied to those pages. I've tried highlighling the weird text - apllied my  'Normal' Text Styles (example 'Normal Text' = Calibri, regular, 12 pt, 15 Leading) - but it does not respond (meaning either the text size is wrong- or the leading is wrong). 

The problem existed with BOTH the newest software version (2.0.4.) and the previous one. Using Windows 11. After easily investing two hours on this I finally got it straighten out - but don't ask me how...  Any ideas on what might have caused this? 

Without the files (.afpub and .docx) we are going to be guessing.

One of the big problems is people using the Character Panel to set a Leading Override. Instead of using a Paragraph Style with its leading. Add to that the ability to have some text with a Character Style with a Leading Override and you'll have problems.

Use the Paragraph to set the leading and the Character's Leading Override set to Auto.

1362579788_ScreenShot2023-01-31at10_07_15AM.png.8a2192d382938335ea2ac74d027eec78.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Sun2Son, OldBruce is correct, we can only guess unless we have the document to examine.  My guess is that you inadvertently rescaled one of several linked text frames using the handle at the far bottom right corner, in an attempt to resize it.  Rescaling a text frame causes all its contents, including text, to be rescaled (after all the character and paragraph style properties are applied.)  AFAIK there is no way to exactly reset the scaling on a text frame, but it is simple enough to delete the accidently rescaled text frame, create a new one with the proper size (leaving the rescale handle strictly untouched) and link it into the other frames so the text reflows through all the frames.

37 minutes ago, sfriedberg said:

AFAIK there is no way to exactly reset the scaling on a text frame

From another user, try:

1. Select the Text Frame (not the text within it).
  2. Click Revert Defaults button (or Edit > Defaults > Revert).

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Old Bruse & sfiedburg - apologies up front - I'm semi-illeterate when it comes to tech - so my questions and such are long winded.

Old Bruce - thx for your response (and image). I appreciate the info on settings (Pagagrapg area for Leading - Character area set to auto).

IF I understand your screen shot - as long as under Character > Positioning & Transform > Leading Override is set to Auto - it should adhere to the Leading setting as seen under Paragraph. NOTE: After clicking on Auto - the Leading Overide under Charater shows 15 - NOT "Auto" - hopefully that's correct because it's set to 15 under Paragraph > Leading. 

sfriedberg -  I believe your explanation about ReSizing text frames is the likely, underling culprit -  in my case.  THX for adding your perspective. 

Again - appreciation for you both 

John

46 minutes ago, Sun2Son said:

the Leading Overide under Charater shows 15 - NOT "Auto"

Does it show "15" or something like "(15)"?

The () around it would indicate an automatially applied value.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

21 minutes ago, kenmcd said:

At 12pt Calibri default/automatic leading is [14.4].

Note that how it's represented depends on where you're looking. Automatically set values of Leading in the Paragraph panel use [], but automatically set values of Leading Override in the Character panel use ().

-- Walt
PC:

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

Does it show "15" or something like "(15)"?

The () around it would indicate an automatially applied value.

Hopefully, it will show something like "(15 pt)" if Show text in points is enabled in Preferences > User Interface.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7